Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

I grounded my teen from going to homecoming dance, is this too much?

She was skipping classes, I asked her not to do it. She did it again. Asked her again to please be where you are supposed to be. If you skip again,  I will not let you go to Homecoming. Pretty clearly and simple.  So she skips again on Thursday and Friday. And then acts surprised and is crying and freaking out I won’t let her go tonight. I feel like I’m going crazy. She is constantly in trouble. She threatens me to be worse when she doesn’t get her way. Is taking away a high school dance too much? Her bf is who she is ditching with also. 

Not at all. Kids need more discipline now than ever before. Good Job

• B

I would let it go this one time.

• kristin

She knew the consequences and still disobeyed. Letting it go will only allow it her to walk all over you. Maybe have a discussion with school administration regarding the sluffing?

• Orla C

Stick to your guns. Don't let her bully you into breaking. You told her the consequences of her actions, now be sure to enforce them.

Talk to the boyfriend's parents about this. Don't be accusatory, simply say she is ditching school to be with him. I am fairly sure that they would prefer their son not skip school either. A solid front of all parents would be really helpful at this time.

My parents made me break up with my boyfriend cause he was abusing me and I didn't even realize it. As a young teen, I hated that my parents did that. But, as an adult, I thank them for that. Maybe tell her you don't think her relationship is a good influence on her? If she cries and freaks out, tell her she is being immature and needs to hear you out. If she can't be mature and listen, she doesn't need a relationship.

• Jane4 weeks agoReport

I wish I could go back in time and slap my teen self lol. Maybe one day I can when time travel becomes a thing.

Not too much at all. Parents are in charge and responsible for whatever their underage kids do. Stand firm.

Nope, you should probably have her test for drugs or pregnancy too

• e9601:

Don't let the tail wag the dog anymore. Be a parent and enforce your rules. She can cry and scream all she wants. YOU stick to your word.

You gotta stand your ground and don't back down. You've already let her get away with too much but there won't be any letting her do anything when the cops start coming to your door. If you have to, tie her to a chair.

• kristin

I don't agree with tying her to a chair, but I do agree with standing your ground. She knew the consequences and had been warned, but still sluffed again. Maybe have a discussion with the boyfriend and his parents about the situation.

i wouldve let her go and grounded her at a different time

• kristin

Postponing the grounding would have just given the teenager permission to walk all over you. Stand your ground!

• Eva

You have to follow through on the punishment you set, or she will think she can do anything she wants. If the behavior continues, you will have to ground her and not allow her to see her boyfriend. You aren't her friend, you're her parent. She has to learn that there are consequences to her actions and that whining, crying, and throwing a tantrum will not get her what she wants.