Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

what's the meaning of "gatekeeper"?

Hi,

Someone likes a woman who has a little girl, she didn't like him back, so his friend told him that little girl is the gatekeeper.

I think he means the girl is the key to the mother?

I know that gatekeeper means guardian or the person who guards the door or a gate,

I searched I didn't find the it could mean the key to something.

what does the gatekeeper means here?

I think it means the little girl is the one who has sense, and has to take care

of the Mother.

you could call it a filter and carry the same idea. The little girl serves as a means to filter unwanted people, she is a "gatekeeper" of sorts. Strictly speaking, a gatekeeper does the filtering, prevents approach of unwanted people or things, but I doubt that was the meaning here. The girl is not likely acting to filter on her own volition, she is being used as the gate, rather than the gatekeeper (an excuse for the mother to remain isolated if she deems it necessary).

But there is definite gatekeeping going on.

Your friend sees the daughter as blocking his access to the mother. In reality, the mother is the one rejecting your friend because HE can't get along with her daughter. The mother is not a passive object being controlled by the daughter. She is a practical person with high standards who values her daughter above some creep with obviously ulterior motives.

• RP

At its simplest, it means protector.

The child is called a gatekeeper because she is the one who opens or refuses to open the "gate" by either allowing someone to date her mother or not.

The expression "gatekeeper" indicates a person or a thing that determines who or what is allowed to enter or proceed down a path. That would be very close to a "guardian" and appear synonymous most of the time. In your example if the woman's little girl doesn't like a man then that woman would not consider a relationship with that man based on the little girl's evaluation of the man.

• This is a term used in a variety of fields to mean the person who controls access, the way "in."

For instance, you want to write a book on a cult.  The "gatekeeper" would be a person who is in the cult and willing to not only discuss it with you, but also get other members to discuss the subject with you.

In this case, your friend is creepy as hell, because he is basically saying that the daughter is the key tot he woman, as if you'd want to be with a  woman who only tolerates you because you'd seem to be a prospective good Dad.  So he is advocating grooming the child to like you in order to bang the Mom.

• Lv 7

why not ask the person who told him? sounds like a made-up term.

She gauds at the gate.

It means the girl controls access to the mother.

I suspect it means if the girl does not like a man the mother will not continue to see the man. So the girl liking a person gives access to the mother