Should I write a letter of complaint to my doctor's surgery?

My 76 year old mum went to have her seasonal flu injection today. The nurse is new and when she called my mum in and went into the room with her, the nurse said, "You're little aren't you". My mum doesn't know this nurse from Adam, but when mum came back to the car, she burst into tears as she was not expecting that to be said to her. Yes, my mum is short in stature, but I don't get her why her stature has anything to do with a flu jab? She was insulted.

i would,im 4ft5 and get that all the time

• Mystic

My mom's best friend is 4'9. I'm 5'3 and my mom is 5'4. We love being with her friend - it makes us feel "tall" haha We embrace our "mini" sizes.

• Alan H

If it makes you feel better.

But much depends on the tone in which it was said.

• Mystic

I don't think the nurse was trying to hurt your mom's feelings or make her cry. In fact, I bet the nurse would feel REALLY bad if she knew your mom cried about what was said. Some people are more sensitive or insecure than others. There are a lot of short people in the world - male and female, and with age, it may make you look even smaller because you're getting old and may "hunch over" a little. I would just talk to your mom as well as the doctor she goes to for things. Let the staff know that your mom is sensitive about her height and you would prefer if no one made any comments about it in the future. As for your mom, explain to her that the nurse wasn't trying to be mean. Tell her that sometimes, people just kind of blurt things out without thinking. Tell her that your height is something very common to discuss. Tell her if someone mentions her small size in the future, she should get a bit witty about it. Tell her to tell people she's not short/small - she's fun-sized. Tell her to have fun with it and embrace her small size! 

I'm 5'3 and small. I am by no means anorexic. I've alwayd been a healthy weight and had a healthy BMI for my height. Yet I have a certain family member who has to comment EVERY TIME I see them. If we are having a family meal, they look over at my plate in awe and say they can't believe I'm actually eating. I just ignore the commentary or let them know that I, like them, am a human being and humans eat food. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it rude? Very. But some people just have no care or regard for others. I'm fine with harmless jokes like - "Wow! I wish I could eat that and not worry about gaining any weight!" but when someone literally acts like I don't eat because I'm thin, it's very annoying.

Just have your mom embrace her small size and remind her that she is perfectly beautiful and wonderful just the way she is!

Good luck!

#Of course there are better and worse ways to talk to one's patient but it doesn't sound like it was meant as an insult nor was it poor beheaviour.

Was she intentionally trying to be nasty? I am guessing that she wasn’t trying to be nasty and if she knew she made your mom cry that she would probably feel really bad. I think wether you complain or not should be based on what you feel the nurses intentions were. Yes the comment was unnecessary but we don’t need to complain about everything. We can all be too sensitive sometimes. She is 76, why be upset over height now lol

I wouldn't think the nurse did that you intentionally hurt your mothers' feelings. That would be a good way to get herself fired. I doubt if she was as short as my mother, less than 5 ft.

Does your mum have dementia?

Yes, let them know how your mom was crying after that was said to her. They should be aware of it to help staff be more sensitive.

• Onlooker

Really, people comment that often? At any rate, in the health field we should try to be sensitive not only to people's physical differences, but their emotional differences as well. Just because some comments don't bother you doesn't mean you speak for everyone.

Oh God... someone who knows their rights (or thinks they do) but has no idea about their responsibility. I imagine you are some inadequate sole who blames their lack of success in life on other people... like doctors and nurses and professional people doing a good job. Your mother needs to grow up, I don't care how old she is, but YOU need to stop taking yourself so seriously and get a life... and a job, probably.

Vaccines are given in different doses based on someone's body weight.  Noticing different body sizes is a doctor doing his (or her) job.  It's a medical thing not an insult.  If she was given the wrong dose then I suppose you would have a right to complain.  Of course there are better and worse ways to talk to one's patient but it doesn't sound like it was meant as an insult nor was it poor manners.  Calling someone "small" is descriptive not pejorative (especially in this context).

• BOBBER

If you don't say something.another persons feelings will get hurt.