Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Selling vehicle with title issue?

I have the title of the vehicle but I haven’t had it put in my name yet (it wasn’t dated, haven’t had the time or money). But I did sign it (didn’t know you weren’t supposed to). I’m trying to sell the vehicle. Would it be possible to give them the title the way it is and a bill of sale? Or will I have to have it changed over first? 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • car253
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What state are you in? DMV laws vary by state. Contact your DMV. And, you might be able to sell it if you get a "Defective Title Bond" and put the car in your name first. Ask your DMV

• May
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

You are talking about "Jumping the title" which is illegal. You MUST title the car in your name before you can legally sell it.

• D J
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You need to get the title into your name or you can not legally sell the vehicle.

• 1 month ago

If the title isn't in your name, you can't legally sell it. No exceptions.

Get the title in your name, then you can sell it. Don't bother looking for loop holes and back doors, there aren't any.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Locally that is 10 minutes at service counter- and 15 for full transfer with next buyer ending up with title and plates. Wisconsin fairly tolerant about clerical errors- as long as they get a extra title transfer fee. You have a title that matches VIN, your name as purchaser in right spot - just a bit late in getting new title in your name SO, get the title transfer done, pay the fees and then sell it with o hassles. If you have buyer lined up, might get a 'Virtual Title' in your name with Title/file number that will be used to generate title to next purchasers name- save 10 minutes, some paper and one counter fee--just get to State of Confusions DOT counter--or are you in State of Delusion? Illinois- that situation could be taken care of with $100.00 bill to counter clerk..

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

"Title jumpers" always think they are the first person to think of a way to avoid paying fees and taxes.

You loose - and in my state, there is a penalty for not having it titled in your name promptly, and you would have to pay for all the time it was not properly titled and licensed - even if for years.

• 1 month ago

Title jumping, also known as curb stoning, is illegal in all 50 states.

Title jumping is illegal in every state.

Even if you purchase a vehicle and turn around the next day and sell it, you are legally required to transfer the title into your name. There are exceptions to this rule, though, such as when a title owner is deceased and the next of kin wishes to sell the vehicle.

Since you signed the title you may have trouble getting it in your name to get a clear title so you can sell it. Go to the DMV and ask what can be done.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Legally the car isn't yours to sell until you go to the DMV and pay for the title to be transferred into your name. Title jumping is illegal😉

• 1 month ago

You need to go to the DMV and spend the money to get a new title in your name.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Didn't know you weren't supposed to sign in the owners block when you aren't the owner. Sorry. Get it titled in your name then do it again

• Snezzy
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

We did not watch you doing the signing. These things are always hard to see over the Internet..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.