promotion image of download ymail app

My beta died?

I had a beta fish in a tank for about a year and he was fine, he seemed happy and he would get excited when he would see me (he knew it was feeding time). So I decided to buy it a new tank with a filter, some toys, and a beta fish water treatment (as suggested by a pet store employee) But ever since i did that, he seemed to change. He was excited anymore. Sometines he wouldnt eat and he would hide all the time, he barely moved. Until eventually he died. I thought he would be better off with a filter, and water treatment, but ultimately I believe it killed it. Does anyone know what might have happened?

4 Answers

  • 8 months ago

    Did you cycle the new tank? or add the old filter to the new tank?

    Even in a larger tank, A fish in cycle is hard on fish. Chemical levals bounce, Nitrite, ammonia, Ph...and toxins build up in the water.

    If you were not carefullly to make sure that the temp in the new tank was the same as in the old tank, he could have gone into temprature shock.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Nathan
    Lv 4
    8 months ago

    Please do not trust pet shops, they lie and sell dangerous products in order to make profit. The last time I listened to them was when they recommended a toxic water treatment to me which killed my fish, I did not know it was toxic and was devastated when I found out but they refused to stop selling the product

  • Jack H
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    What the hell is a beta water treatment, you made too many changes at the same time and killed your fish, often in large *all pets* stores, the staff know very little about fish, but will sell you anything. Beta are normally happy in almost any water conditions, wide temperature range etc., they don't need special treatments, sad the fish died, but too many people think slinging chemicals into tanks is a substitute for keeping the water good and healthy...

    • I guess I had to learn the hard way. I thought that employee knew what she was talking about. Thanks.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

    Fish are very sensitive to their environment. Something in the new tank got him sick. It could have been bacteria, too much chlorine in the water, etc. Maybe the new tank was not clean enough or even TOO clean (leaving soap remains) Maybe the water temperature was too warm or too cold form him. it's hard to say but fish are very sensitive!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.