Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Is it racist to dislike Japanese food because it is Japanese?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • But racism is directed to a people, not necessarily its culture, so I wouldn't consider the dislike of Japanese food being racist unless you directly say you dislike Japanese people.

• 4 weeks ago

Is it racist to dislike Japanese food because it is Japanese? Yes.

Is it racist to dislike Japanese food because of it is taste? No.

• T*t*t
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

More like you have bad taste since jap foods and their cultures are amazing.

• 1 month ago

Well, it depends on what you understand by "Japanese". Do you like McDonalds but wouldn't taste a hamburguer that had been prepared in Japan? Do you like Coca-Cola but wouldn't drink it if it was from Japan? Japanese food includes fish, vegetables, fruits, meat, noodles... do you usually eat and like these foods but wouldn't taste them if you knew they were from Japan? If you answered "yes" to all these questions, I'd say that yes, your attitude is quite racist or xenophobic, especially if you can't or don't want to say why you don't like food produced in Japan (is it because you find the Japanese disgusting?).

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, it is racist to dislike any food from anywhere in the world simply because it is from that place.

You may indeed dislike it because the taste does not suit you.

• 1 month ago

In that case presumably you dislike ANYTHING that's Japanese. Your personal opinions are your personal opinions, but when you say out loud, 'Japanese food is rubbish because the Japanese people are rubbish', then THAT is racist.

However disliking Japanese food for ANY reason other than having tried it and found it didn't suit you is simply silly and childish.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That depends. Does the person in question like other aspects of Japanese culture? Maybe they are just skeptical of tastes they are unfamiliar with. The word "disgusting" for pickled fish is an example of this [judgmental but not necessarily racist]. One man's disgusting is another man's delicious.

Also, any regional cuisine can be well or badly prepared.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, but is OK to hate pickled fish because it tastes disgusting.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

IDK, but I don't like it cause it's got weird stuff in it and no meat.. Or only like a teaspoon if it.

• 1 month ago

No, it's not racist if you don't like Japanese food, my friend.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.