Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

What are some smart , witty , sarcastic responses and comments which we can say to a rude customer?

In a way which are not necessarily stooping to the customer's level . But more so , acknowledging their rudeness ?

I like to give comments such as :

"God bless you . " So this way if they are a nonbeliever or non religious, this will upset them.

or .. " I hope your day gets better." To let them know that you know they are having a bad day.

or "Thank you for the insult . I appreciate it!"

Also I like to express my emotions thru facial expressions . I can stand there and not say a word to a rude customer , but my face can tell it all.

Those are good examples, i never thought about it thaf way from a workers experiance. I think just saying Bye would really piss customers off. For example if they treat you really bad just say 'Bye' in a nice voice as they leave, and it will let them know you were professional but dont care if you see them again

"Your mum" is my favourite

• Daisy

I have said some witty and sarcastic things to customers (actually, library patrons). I found myself in a lot of trouble from my managers. So, I offer this advice- let the customers have the last word -- you have the last act. Let them have their say, then say "Have a nice day sir/mam" and let them go. If they get too offensive, bring out the manager or whomever is in charge- let him/her take the flack. Then, once they're gone- you can talk about them all you want and trash them all you want (just don't let other customers hear you say those things). Try to remember the nice customers who appreciate your help and kindness. Go overboard for those guys!

• Orla C

If you start down this road, you're going to find yourself unemployed at some point. My suggestion is to find witty comebacks that made the customer laugh rather than piss them off.

• Edna

I suggest that no employee ever try to intentionally "smart off" to a customer (even a rude customer) - not if that employee wants to keep his job.

It's better not to react at all if you're trying to keep the job. Just act polite, don't try to come up with any sort of insults. Most customers don't even realize how they're acting anyway.

i wouldnt do that since two wrongs dont make it right

• polly

I wouldn't bother,I'd just be professional as you can & ignore their lack of class.

If they're rude & or having a bad day already & they take one of your witty,smart or sarcastic comments as a sign that you're wanting to get combative with them,it'll make any further future interactions with them even worse

Tell them to ... Have a better life. Or Have a better day. If someone insults you, you can state... Coming from you, that is a compliment. Or my doozy, if someone insults you, state I agree with you. (Of course you know it is not true about you -You know your worth). That really throws them off. But what are they going to do about it, disagree more with you? You just "agreed" with them.

• Dv8s

By responding with some snarky remark, or retort, you are bringing yourself down to their level. By doing your job, and being friendly, kind and respectful to them, is the biggest slap in their face, you can do. This tells them, that you are unaffected by their ugly disposition. So rise above, and be better than they are.