Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

what happens if you get injured in a foreign country and have no visa? and if you get treatment, what would happen after?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best answer

Despite the leftist rhetoric on here, the > law < in the USA requires that hospitals treat patients regardless of ability to pay. A hospital in the USA also will not ask a patient about their immigration status. Part of the reason medical costs in the USA are so high is that nearly all of the 22 to 30 million illegal aliens in the country are getting medical treatment without paying for it. That means the rest of us get charged extra too cover the treatment for the illegals. .

Most of the western democracies operate about the same as the USA. However, some of them may be more likely to report you to the authorities if they suspect you of being in the country illegally, and that is more likely to happen if you can't pay. Note that very few countries with "universal health care" provide it to non-resident foreigners.

Outside the western democracies (which includes the USA) you may be refused treatment if you can't pay in advance for the treatment.

• W.T. Door
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

@ RICK · In reality, if you go to a hospital emergency room and complain of having a cold they will treat you.

• RICK
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Depends on the country

In the US they must treat you for life threatening problems not minor/non dangerous things

I needed care in the UK while visiting

I got the care but my status was verified

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

given, according to your other posts, you are 15 years old, this would be your parent's issue

• 1 month ago

No visa is less of an issue; no travel insurance will be the major problem you have in getting and paying for treatment.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You have a problem then.......... depends on the country but if you are illegal you can be sue that in most countries you will be removed ad sent back hme and banned

• 1 month ago

You would have to pay for the treatment (if it was a country where treatment isn't free). However, medical treatment in other countries costs much less than in the U.S.

• 1 month ago

Depends on the foreign country. My wife got very sick in Singapore, a city-state. Fortunately they have universal health care for anyone who is in Singapore even as a tourist. So they took her into their very clean hospital over night while they pumped her full of antibiotics and fluids. And the next day she was fine and released.

The US is the only major nation on the planet without universal healthcare. That's a travesty.

• oldprof
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Guess it's semantics, but mandatory insurance is universal healthcare in my book.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

VISA or no VISA, you will not be eligible for government-paid healthcare. Your home country might cover your medical fees. You can also have private insurance.

Also, if you are in a country with no VISA, you are likely overstaying your VISA. But most countries have loopholes to allow you to seek for services without getting caught.

• 1 month ago

you would likely be deported

• 1 month ago

Well, considering how the American government treats undocumented foreigners in America, I'd be totally in support of a foreign country if they took an American citizen without a visa who got injured and just tossed him in the river.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.