Anonymous

Can losing a child cause a strong person to commit suicide?

Well my friend's uncle lost two kids (ages 11 and 16). They got ran over by a truck and he couldn't save them. He was far from reach and he witnessed it.

Her uncle was a very tough, stoic, military guy. A year later, he couldn't handle it and pulled the trigger on himself. No one expected a guy with such a strong caliber like to do that. His suicide letter consisted of an apology to all and how he would join them in death. I know losing a child can cause an agonizing sadness but is it that bad enough to kill yourself?

• Ocimom

We never know what is going on in a person's mind. They may appear to be strong on the outside but breaking up on the inside and too proud to seek help. So yes that can happen and does more then you realize.

Suicide is caused by a lot things such as rejection, depression, personal problem, family issue, broken family, stress and losing your kid as a parents is such a heavy things to handle.

Without proper grief counseling that outcome is sadly an all too common outcome of such a tragedy.

• Alan H

Not at all surprising.

How sad he did not get support in the intervening 12 months

• audrey

Yes. I lost my son when he was 22. You think about suicide a lot.

• Teal

That's the problem with being perceived as strong, nobody thinks you need help and you have a hard time asking for it. If he had not bottled up his feelings and felt obligated to put on a brave front, maybe he would have gotten the help he needed. Grief and sadness aren't character flaws, needing support isn't weakness, these are inevitable human experiences. We all need to show each other more compassion.

• Rick B

Absolutely. I can't imagine losing one of my kids, much less two.