Would you like it if someone cleaned and organized for you?

My mom was out so I decided to clean and organize the kitchen.  I found a bunch of expired food and cleaned the cupboards and everything.  She came home and I told her that the food I had set aside was expired but I didn't want to throw it out until she saw it. I thought this would be better than just throwing it away without telling her.

She gets mad and says "I don't think that's funny. Now I have to go through all of it and I don't want to." And she gets all pissed off about it.  

I wasn't trying to be funny.  I was trying to help.  She's retired and does nothing but sit and watch TV all day and this would have taken her literally less than five minutes.  So I said fine, **** it, and three everything back in the cupboard.

I just don't get what I did wrong.

• GEEGEE

It depends, but generally no. Everyone has their own system, good or bad, and the decision should be theirs and theirs alone to sort things out. If someone asked for my assistance, fine, but if not, I'd never impose.

No, unless they were helping me clean and organize. They don't know what I need and don't need.

• Dv8s

What may look like a disorganized mess to one person, is another persons organization. She probably knew where everything was, even if, to you, it looked misplaced. You should have asked before you did a major job like that. Oh well, next time you'll know better.

There's a difference between food items "past their expiration date" and food items that have actually spoiled.  After I had to be away from home for several weeks, the fridge held cheese packages where the contents had turned black, leftover Chinese take-outs, and expired orange juice cartons with an inch of juice still in them.

I just asked my husband to be the one to decide what stayed and what got pitched.  After he was done, there was a lot more room in the fridge.

We don't worry about dry items such as cereal, or canned items such as soups.  Those things don't drop dead on their "best by" dates.  Only if many, many months have gone by, do we get rid of them.

• She had open boxes of cereal that expired in 2017. I guess I just didn't think I was out of line by setting them aside.

• Lita

Honestly, I would appreciate their desire to help but I wouldn't want them to clean and organize my house.

i wouldnt have a problem with it but your mother didnt like it

• denise

THAT HAPPENED TO ME A FEW YEARS AGO, i GAVE THE WHOLE KITCHEN A THOROUGH CLEAN & THREW OUT ALL THE OUT DATED STUFF, CLEANED THE FRIDGE THOROUGHLY AS SHE HAD A LOT OF UNWRAPPED ITEMS THAT HAD GONE BAD & THE CHEESE HAD HARDENED E.T.C.

The next day she [my mother] told my sister that I'd thrown all her food away, and 'messed' up her 'system'! You just cant win!

• Cogito

No - I wouldn't.

In MY house I like things the way I want them.

If someone came in and rearranged my things, I'd be bloody furious!

• Edna

Canned or dry food that's kept in a cupboard NEVER "expires". It's still good to eat YEARS later. Fresh food (like food that has to be kept in a refrigerator), is what "expires" or "goes bad".

it wouldnt bother me but i think your mom was rude to act like that

• Elaine

While you meant well you did it without asking for permission.  

• Jerry

Consider the old saying "The path to hell is paved with good intentions." That you meant well may EXPLAIN poorly thought out choices, but doesn't EXCUSE them.