Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

How would you stop your 17 year old daughter from smoking?

start a campfire with her cigarettes outside and tell her to inhale them all at once. That should a) kill her or b) put her off smoking

Prevent it from happening in the first place by being in her life a little more and making sure that she has decent friends. You should also talk to her about how smoking can cause things like cancer and lung disease and show her pictures of it. Also tell her that if any of her friends start smoking to immediately talk to them about why this is bad just like she would if one of her friends brought a gun to school. Also make sure that she's in a structured environment often enough to where she doesn't have time to smoke. For example putting her in extracurricular activities or in sports at school will give her less time to smoke or drink and even if someone brings it to school people would more then likely see it. Special olympics or 4h programs will also work and you can even take her to nearby attractions and events so that she'll have structure in her life.

Source(s): Hope I helped

You can't. If it's banned in the home they do it in secret. If you tell them they smell of tobacco they'll say it's from the smoke of other people etc. Show them photos of what a person's lungs look like when they are close to dying from the effects of tobacco and describe the pain and distress of such a person - that might help more than anything else. Ensuring that they don't have enough money to buy them might help to some degree but they'll still get them via friends and, at some point, the friends will wish to be reimbursed (which might be a problem).

As a teen myself,I turned 18 recently and just like your daughter I sneaked around with a couple of Cigs, not because I thought it was cool but because I liked it. Nothing no one was going to say was going to stop me and I knew about the heavy downsides to smoking but as teenagers we are very hard headed so I did it and never got caught. If my parent had scolded me for it which I know she would’ve, I would’ve still done it just even more. When you take something away you just leave them wanting more and for me scolding me for it and taking it away would worsen the case as I did it because I sincerely liked it. I reckon you ask her what she likes and doesn’t about it then you give her an in-depth talk of the side effects of smoking Include some videos of people who’ve been affected by smoking and drum into her Remember to not be too judgmental and not to shout.

Be understanding yet if he fails to listen let her be, she’s not going to stop.She’ll just do it behind your back like me.

• GB

I have never wanted to smoke, and never have. So maybe I set a good example and she followed it.

Talk to her about the realities of smoking. Not just the health risks, but the other things like how guys don't want to be with smokers, employers don't want to hire smokers, the cost of the addiction to nicotine and how much money it will cost her over time taking away opportunities she would otherwise have and desire.

Every time you catch her with cigarettes, take away something.  

Smoking - no cell phone - no leaving the house except for school - no friends over - no dating - 

Another alternative - find all the information you can on the health effects of smoking and make her write an essay for you about the impact of smoking.

But, at 17, it is often hard to monitor everything your teen is doing especially if they have a job and a source of their own money.  

dont give her any money , that way she cant buy them

• Charlie1 month agoReport

Even then she'll get them from someone else and she probably has a job anyway.

by killing her. its really the only guaranteed way.

Steal her paycheck and her box of cigars