I live in Kentucky and bought a car in Ohio. I have a 45 day temp tag on it. Do I get car insurance write a way or do I have 45 days?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

NOW! FOOL to protect yourself in case of an accident. Use that thing between your ears for something besides a hat rack!

• 1 month ago

No, you don't have a valid temp tag. You might have a temp tag on the vehicle, but it's not valid. That's because you can't get a temp tag without showing them proof of insurance, not in Kentucky or Ohio.

The law in both states says you must have valid insurance on a vehicle before you can drive it on public roads, no exceptions. There are penalties if you get caught driving without insurance, and you will get caught.

Temp tags, even if they're totally valid, are a total cop magnet. Cops can spot a temporary from a mile away, and the fact that it's a paper / whatever licence plate is enough for them to do a traffic stop. For whatever reason, temp tags are the most misused and abused form of documentation in the world. People alter them, stick them on the wrong vehicle or just keep driving after they expire on a regular basis. When a cop spots a temp tag in traffic, the odds are about 50% that it's being used illegally.

• 1 month ago

Before you drove it an inch you should have had insurance in place.

• May
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

NOW !!!

You should have insured the vehicle even before you got the plate.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Get in an accident without insurance and let us know how that works out for you. Of course you have to insure it - before you drive it anywhere.

The 45 days is for you to get the official registration from DMV in your state.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You get insurance IMMEDIATELY and don't drive the car until you have it!

• 1 month ago

Buy the insurance ASAP.

• 1 month ago

Did you already have insurance on your old car? If so, just call your agent and transfer the coverage. If didn't previously have a car and this is your first, or you let insurance lapse, get it today!!!!!

• 1 month ago

What? You don't have car insurance? In California we must show that we have car insurance before anyone will sell us a car. Having insurance is a prerequisite to buying a car.

I have to believe Ohio has the same rule. The State cannot afford to have uninsured motorists driving around their streets.

• curmudgeon55
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Kalifornicatia laws don't apply in other states, especially for motor vehicles and sometimes don't apply in California. uninsured motorist tickets, inspections and insurance company report of bounced premium checks indicate 14% uninsured motorist average holds for California.

• Eva
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

You need to get it right away.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.