Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Why is it that so many grown adults don't know how to cook?

If so, then it is because the parents prepare all the meals for their children, thinking they are taking good care of them / doing a nice thing for them. Instead they should be teaching them to cook.. In addition to teaching them how to clean, how to do laundry, how to eat healthy, etc etc etc.

• Orla C

It's crazy. Cooking is not very difficult at all, I do it almost every day. From scratch.

• denise

They must not have learned at school and from their parents / grandparents.

These days its not compulsary to take 'Home Economics at school.

they're lazy, ignorant, think eating out is cheaper. Many reasons.

Because the generation before them lost the habit of cooking a meal from scratch.

• GEEGEE

I'm a pretty basic cook but live alone so don't bother for the most part. Sandwiches, salads and miscellaneous deli items make my menu complete. Will cook for company or on holidays but otherwise just don't care to.

no time to cook or something

• Cas

Maybe people just want simple meals that are easy to prepare. I never eat processed food, but I do like to keep it simple with the ingredients. Ground beef is a favorite.

Those were skills lost many generations ago. We didn't know alot of what the Romans did including how to make concrete until after the dark ages and Renaissance when white people got rich enough to have time to sit down and figure it out again. By the 90s, there were only a few weirdos and nerds who still made dinner with their grannies who did so with their grannies and so on.

Cooking is cool now because of cooking shows that Alton Brown states the reason for as 9-11. We were looking for comfort and cooking seemed the natural way. An 80s advertiser found out we associate coffee with moms, and acted accordingly. I think the USDA program Healthy People, starting in 2000 had something to do with it too.

What you're experiencing is shame you don't know how to do something you never learned how to do, or "they" don't anyhow. There was simply no precedence to learn how to cook when we were getting fat on TV dinner and making retarded babies with Thalidomide while saying "better living through chemistry."

its not that we dont know, we just dont want to, im single so its not like i have to cook for a family, id rather microwave or just buy a sandwich, lots of times i eat at the senior center, not working right now so it gives me a chance to hang out with people.or i go to bible studies or church stuff where theyre serving lunch or dinner so i just eat there

• David

There's no need to when a hot cooked meal is only a phone call away and delivered in minutes.