Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 month ago

Why does snake venom affect us if it is meant for much smaller animals like rats and mice. Shouldn't it just give us a rash or something?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

    we are the weak species .. cant adapt to certain bug bites

  • Sparky
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

    Many snakes deliver much more than a single 'dose' of venom in one bite.

    Baby and young snakes are often deadlier because they have not learned how to use only what they need to in order to bring down a victim.

  • 1 month ago

    No, venom does things to the blood of ANY creature that's bitten.

    Here's a link, it's pretty scary what just one drop does.

    https://futurism.com/watch-snake-venom-blood

  • 1 month ago

    Starting with your Q, snakes and other highly venomous animals are still part of the food chain, so that venom can also be effective against their predators. A lot to venom also, one is not a poison it can be ingested,toutched, even inhaled.

    3 main types, neurotoxin,effecting nerve conduction, and 2 Hemotoxins, one can coagulate the blood, the other preventing coagulation causing bleeding out, even through respiratory systems. some snakes have all 3

    With snakes, their adapted use of venom is to subdue prey or stop predators or threats, bees another such animal.

    Yet other animals like most spiders, venom also has enzymes that begins the digestive process.

    How toxic a given venom is to another is a comparative test to determine the dosage needed to be lethal to 50 percent of test animals, such as mice.

    Known as LD-50. So you see, the dosage plays a part. Speculated that a king cobra with on bite could kill 6 healthy adult humans. The western black widow venom 5 times as toxic, but consider the dosage each can produce.

    The most lethal venom known belongs to an ant, native to the Sonora desert.

    12 stings can kill a 4 pound rat.

    The list of animals that produce venom is not small, and a lot more to it than just this. There is no textbook case, every individual is different for immune system, age, or allergies. Most common spiders have little or no effect on healthy humans. An Australian mouse species is literally immune to one of the most toxic snakes in the world.

    Clarified a bit I hope.

    Source(s): Studied venomous arthropod bites and stings.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    The purpose of snake venom, along with killing prey, is also defense. There's a lot of larger animals that naturally prey on snakes.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Rats and mice are rodents, and rodents are one of the closest relatives of primates. Humans are primates. In fact, we are more closely related to rodents than we are to elephants, cats, dogs, horses, cows, whales, deer, pigs, bats and armadillos. That is why rats and mice are so useful as lab animals, as they are biologically very similar to us. What affects them chemically or biologically will likely affect us in similar ways. That is why we test cancer causing chemicals with mice and rats.

    Snake venoms vary in toxicity. The venom of such vipers as the European viper, copperhead and cottonmouth are rarely fatal to humans, but other snakes such as rattlesnakes,.coral snakes and cobras, are a lot more toxic. It is true that the larger an animal, the more venom it will take to kill it, but if the venom is toxic enough, just a small amount will kill.

    You may question why a snake would evolve highly toxic venom when mildly toxic ones will work. The reason is that animals have no control over evolution. Sometimes their venom just happens by chance to be highly toxic because of mutations. Sometimes they may not be toxic enough.

  • 1 month ago

    It can still kill u

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.