Brianna asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Roommate won't take out trash?

I moved in with her 6 weeks ago, and she will not take out the trash. This week when I arrived back to the apartment after going to my parents place for the weekend, the garbage can was full. But i'm sick of taking it out all the time. Especially when she could have changed it during the weekend. When the garbage in the bathroom is full she ties it up and LEAVES it by the doorway! Once when coming back from home I picked up a bag that was in the doorway thinking it was grocies and it had all her bloody pads in it. It was dark out at that time so I was assuming she just didn't want to go outside in the dark, but she left the bag there for days! Until I took it outside!

It's so annoying. I know she is busy, but so am I! I leave for school at 8:30 and this week haven't came back till between 9-11pm. I like her a lot, but why can't she just take her turn?!

• put hot sauce on her black or red panties so it wont be noticeable, but it hurts like hell

• susan

Be sure you are taking it out at least 51 % of the time, faithfully. The rest of the time, when it's her turn, don't leave it there quietly, and don't take it out yourself. Instead, get bossy. Tell her to take it out. Tell her at least once every 5 minutes until she does it. If she empties the trash can and puts it down next to the door, tell her to take that bag to the dumpster. Tell her to do it now, and don't leave her alone until she does it. If she's afraid to go out in the dark, offer to walk with her, but make it clear nobody except her is going to carry that trash out to the dumpster. Make it so that it's easier for her to do it than to not do it.

Yes, this is a lot of work for you, but you are making the world a better place by helping to raise this child.

P.s., if you come home at 11:00 pm and she is asleep, and if you are SURE you took it out the last time or two, wake her up and tell her to take out the trash.

• GEEGEE

Talk to her and be blunt. You don't say how your became roommates, or what the setting is, but if it's an option going forward, tell her this issue is a deal breaker and that if she doesn't change you'[l make other living arrangements.

• ctc453

Maybe take it out yourself and stop complaining when you're clearly just as lazy.

maybe you should kick her out and get another roommate

• sarah

It may be easier to take out the trash your self than move back in with your parents.

Show your roommate a lesson. Dump the trash on their bed.

I used to have a room mate who left dirty dishes for weeks in the kitchen sink. it is gross and I couldnt clean my own dishes since the sink was full. I told him to move his dishes because I couldnt clean my own. When he didnt do it, I put a big sticky note in front of the sink. It said "pls clean your dishes (name) our kitchen is getting stink!".....

Just dump the bags in her room or even on her bed. She'll get the message.

She's lazy and she figures you will do it, stop taking it out.