Timing Chain Issue?

I have a 2015 Nissan Altima S with 83,000 miles. From what I've been told by a shop the timing chain needs replacing. It's currently at a Nissan dealership being diagnosed. Unfortunately the power train coverage ends at 60,000 miles for this part. The dealership said Nissan may cover some or all of the fix if I call and speak to someone myself. 

Is it worth keeping this car or should I trade it in? The part is only guaranteed for 12 months or 12,000 miles.... I can't let this car turn into a money pit. 

The last year Altima to have a timing belt is 2001. The OP has a timing chain which is maintenance-free. It shouldn't need replacing, but it does. Also, contrary to what CB said, it is expensive to replace.

Nissan timing chains are a problem. You'd need records of all your oil changes to give to the District Service Representative at the dealer to even have a chance of any customer good will warranty. After an oil change I'd go to some other car lot and trade it in. Friday late afternoons at the end of the month work the best to get a deal.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech / Infiniti Tech
  • In

Your timing BELT is living on borrowed time, and replacing parts like this is considered to be routine maintenance.

• CB

It shouldn't be that expensive to repair and a chain if bad is really an early failure so I would definitely push Nissan to foot some of the cost. It is only a 2015 - 83k is not that much mileage and it will be just about worthless if you don't repair it. Fix it and when the cost of fixing averages over a year (not maintenance items like tires, brakes, oil, and other fluids etc) and gets higher than a monthly payment it is time to trade in to a newer model.