Is it possible for a school year to have 15 to 20 snow days or is it not possible?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best answer

It is possible but you would exceed the maximum number of days allowed for that, and have to extend the school year, or add Saturday sessions, to meet the minimum legal requirements for school days per year. The simple fact is that it is very unusual for anywhere to have such unusually severe weather to make them cancel that many days, though. They know pretty well what the winters are like locally, and the system can deal with all but the most unusual. I have lived most of my life in places that have severe winters (cold, sometimes severe, with snow, lots of snow) and it is just normal, so nothing is cancelled very often or we would have to cancel our entire existence for the bulk of winter. Bad winter here is nothing for some places, and a mild winter here would shut down some places. We simply deal with what we get as a normal course of events, no matter where we live. And 15-20 days of bizarrely severe winter weather is just not going to happen very often at all, and if it did, there would be a lot bigger problems that simply school attendance. the economy would be shut down, and food and fuel supplies would be impeded.

About 20 years ago, we had an ice storm that cut power to many regions for 2 weeks or more, so sure, those places didn't have school until power was back on line. But it wasn't really a weather day, it was a disaster caused by weather.

• TQ
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

World-class mansplaining

• 1 month ago

Where I live, more like 5 days of a school year with no snowfall.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

wrong forum. belongs in Primary and Secondary Education

• 1 month ago

well if you live in Alaska USA or Russia.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

That is up to the school district and the superintendent who sets up the school calendar.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.