Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

Erratic blood pressure?

My blood pressure at home is 12/80 but when my doctor takes my blood pressure it's 14/60. He prescribed bisoprolol 2.5 for 3 months but I don't have chronic hypertension so why should I take this medicine?

No, don't take it. Your blood pressure is normal.

• Tavy

Those numbers look odd. Average is 120/80 not 12.

you need to ask your doctor this question

So go buy your own blood pressure cuff and test your vitals at home. Keep a log. Often a patient will have slightly elevated blood pressure when they visit the doctor's office, just because it's so stressful. If your B/P is normal at home, you might experiment with not taking your medicine for a day or two, and see how it affects your readings. If you don't need the medication, and you take it, you might experience a lower B/P that you are used to. That would certainly show that you don't need the medicine. Be sure to take your readings when sitting down, and after waiting a few minutes after any activity, to let your B/P settle. Show your results to your doctor. In the end, it is you who has to decide if you are going to take the prescribed medicine or not. You have to be your own doctor.

It appears you have white coat syndrome. You should get a machine that takes blood pressure and take daily readings and show him/her the results.

• audrey

Because he doesn't want you to have a stroke.