hann asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 1 month ago

What do I do if my dad is strict about a sport I don't have interest in?

Me and my siblings swim, and while we don't exactly hate swim, my dad is extremely hard on us. He would punish us when we do something even slightly wrong, like if we aren't sprinting as fast as we can when he wants to or if our head position is wrong. He has yelled at us for hours upon hours because of this sport, and it's hard to ask to quit because they already spent so much money. I already explained that I'm not doing this in college, and even my mom said that he should stop caring so much about swim. Swim doesn't allow us to do any other clubs or activities because practices are 6 days a week, and my parents won't let me do anything else if I'm not doing it seriously. Please help me, I want a way out, swim has taken over my life for the worse.

you could always move out and then you can do whatever you want

Sorry, this isn't advice, but on the bright side at least your dad is pushing you to do something. It will pay off later, trust me. Although it would be a lot better and smarter of your dad to make you do something you enjoy rather than something of his choice. If you're already a sophomore or higher in high school, it's probably best to stick with it now. It will look better on college applications that you consistently stuck with a sport, even if you have plans on continuing.