Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

My adult daughter stopped talking to me. what should I do? ?

my wife passed away a year ago last August 20, 2018. my daughter is really close to my her mother and she loves hre so much. I wasn't a good husband and  father I admit that I cheated on my wife so many times and never acknowledged that it was wrong.  my daughter was deeply affected by me cheating on her mother since she was just a little kid she would see us fighting. now that my wife is gone I regret everything I did but I want to be happy and I want to get married again but my daughter doesn't want and she just exploded to me. i got mad at her yesterday and I think I scared her when I was banging her door and was shouting. she doesn't want to speak to me again. whats houd I do? 

she old enough to be out the door and pay her own tabs

say sorry......

• Jane

You seem to know how you have hurt your daughter and her mother, but unable to act as if you have any responsibility for the consequences of your behaviour. Either you genuinely want to do something helpful but don't know how to act, or actually you don't really care.

If you do really care, then it's time to sit back and think through how to act like a parent towards your daughter.

If you don't care, run away as usual.

She probably resents you for once again putting yourself first. Why bother to get married again? Just to have someone to take care of the house and do your laundry? You're not a good husband, a good father or a faithful man. Now that you're single, you're free to screw around all you want. So rather than hurt ANOTHER wife (and your daughter, too), just enjoy your freedom and work on repairing your relationship with your daughter.

• SW-6

IMO if you really care about your daughter as opposed to relieving your own guilt, I would let it go. Reason being you don't seem to realized how much hurt you have put on others for your own selfish needs. Say you and your daughter make peace. Are you sure you won't do something to bring her down again? IF you really care, you will go on with your life and hope the people you have hurt in the past will find it in their heart to risk heartbreak or disappointment from you again. I know how your daughter feels. I would say think of a man treating your daughter the same way you treated her mother. Better yet if your new wife treated you the same way you treated your daughter's mother. It hurts friend. If you can't trust yourself to do right by your daughter, don't lift her spirits up to risk destroying her again. Let her decide if this is a risk she is ok with facing the risk of what she thought a great Dad really being a cheater and a fraud again. Think hard about how you want to proceed. Good luck to you

Make yourself the best person you can be. Make one genuine apology and make amends--do something nice for your daughter. Maybe something very nice. But do not go around feeling guilty constantly. Give her space. Don't make the same mistake again. She may come back in time, but she's almost certain to not come back if you don't follow the above advice.

Maybe she was cordial to you because her mother was alive. And now she does not feel she has to do that anymore. And why jump into another relationship when your wife just died. you must be very selfish. Did you even care about your wife at all?

• Amaretta

He obviously didn't care since he cheated on her constantly.

Start by apologising.

And be honest, take responsibility for your mistakes

• chris

You can't force people to like you! Even family! Write her a letter (Yes! Snail mail!) explaining how you feel! (and for Gods sake use spell check) If she contacts you, fine. If not, don't push it! Send her a card on birthdays and holidays and if she wants you back in her future life, she will let you know. Only time will tell!

• chris

It's sad that you got nothing else out of that entire answer!