Record player speakers aren't seeming to work properly?

Hello! recently I was given an old 60's/70's record player and speakers, my friend was surprised that it still worked... anyways after the first few listens both speakers were doing great and working just well, however soon after only one speaker seemed to be working fine but the other started sound very shaky and wobbly, any reason as to why?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best answer

Old electrolytic capacitors. 

Something of that age needs to have ALL of its electrolytics replaced. 

I've done it to several items.

If it has tubes, maybe one is getting weak, 

or its socket connections may be oxidised and need cleaning. 

Along with the above, other vulnerable parts should be checked. 

In any case, this is a job for an audio repair shop. 

Expect to pay $50 to $100 for a complete overhaul. 

Add $50 or so if the idler wheel needs to be rebuilt 

(good new ones are No Longer Available). 

If the unit is any good to start with, the money will be well spent,

and it should last another decade or two before needing much else. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The foam that surrounds the speaker cones may have deteriorated. That happens to all old speakers including ones that cost hundreds of dollars or more. The electrical connections between wires may have corroded as well.

• 1 month ago

It could just be a tarnished connection that's moving as things warm up, or it could be a component failing.

Without getting to it "hands on" it's impossible to give any definite cause.

If the speakers are separate, try swapping them over? If the fault moves with the speaker, it's the speaker itself; if it stays on the same side, it's a fault in the main unit.

(Always give makes and model of things when asking technical questions, it make answering a lot easier).

• Aurora1 month agoReport

headphone jack, the speaker connecting to that wire is responsible to creating that noise, the other audio jack is quiet, but doesn't produce any shaky noises. 

• 1 month ago

Seems there’s a problem with the connecting wires not being secured properly or you need new ones.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.