Why did I only get <$1 per pound when the price is $2 a pound?

I went to recycle some #2 copper I had laying around over the years. I put it all together today and they weighed it at 69LBS. Well today #2 copper is worth $2.00 a pound. And when they gave me my money I only got $62.10. Why is that?

Where did you get those prices per pound from?

The only ones which matter are the ones posted on the board at whichever scrap merchant you chose to sell to, and those prices tend to have loads of caveats. Typical ones are that small loads (like yours) or loads from occasional sellers (you again) will be paid far less. With occasional sellers the merchant is at higher risk of unwittingly buying stolen metal; the risk is far lower with a known trusted regular seller.

Copper which includes solder residue or soldered joints will also be priced lower, so cut off all those bits in advance (that’s what the scrap merchant will otherwise have to do before selling a bulk load). That way you can be paid for pure #2 copper and the remaining contaminated pieces can be weighed in and sold separately. If the pure #2 load has a single solder blob or you left a single soldered joint in there the merchant can’t trust your load and will have to check it thoroughly so the entire load gets priced down.

They said you looked like a tosser.

They need to make a profit ...

Who do they sell it to ?

Did you have copper that had solder on it or solder joints? It only takes one piece and they will discount the whole lot because of it.

On what basis do you claim that the price is $2.00/lb? Why didn't you ask that question when you were paid? Asking us is useless.

• P

Because you are selling it in a small quantity you have no room for negotiation, they still have to process the metal to make it usable, and they need to make a little money too.   You are free to sell it anywhere else you think you would get a better price.  

because you gave them junk metal, the listed price is for new material.

• I gotta eat don't I?

You should go back and get an explanation. They should have given you a slip or print out, if not then they robbed you.

• Rick B

No idea. That would have been an excellent question to ask them.