Is this a good path?

I have a 4.0 GPA, but I don’t know what to mayor in, should I go to a good university even though I don’t know what to mayor or just go to a community college, decide what to mayor and then transfer to a uni?

• Lili

You're not going to get into a good university if you call a "major" a "mayor".

It is not necessary to know what you want to major in from the outset. Admissions officers don't take major declarations very seriously, because so many students change their minds. I attended Yale, and I knew people who changed their minds 2 or 3 times during the first 2 years. You can spend some time figuring it out once you get there.

If you are really qualified to get into a good college, apply to some. Don't waste your time with a community college. Note that top schools also have the best financial aid available, if that's a concern.

I don't know if it's the best path but at least you have a path, the put your head of at least half the people

No.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

You haven t mentioned what your SAT score is, and whether or not you are taking AP courses. You could try a couple summer sessions at a a community college to get a feel for where your interests may lie.

That's really a conversation to have with your parents and guidance counselor.  A lot, if not most, college students don't end up graduating from college with the major the student thought they'd pursue, so not knowing what you want to major in really isn't that big a deal.

Community college is a great option for many people, but if you are a 4.0 student in a academically strong high school program, you may find CC will not engage you fully. The two other factors that are really important are cost and experience.  CC is a lot cheaper than most universities and can be a great way to save money while earning those Gen Ed credits and investigating area of interest.  Can your family afford to send you to university or is money tight?  Have you applied for FAFSA yet? On the other hand, the "university experience" does offer things that you simply won't get living at home and commuting to a CC.

As a 4.0 student, you may find that you can get an academic scholarship to some universities, which may open up new options.  Discuss all of this with your counselor and parents. 

• zeno

It's a waste of money going to college before

You fully grasp what career you want. It's time

To go on a field trip to every company or business you are remotely interested in pursuing

For a job. Talk to people doing those jobs

And create a mental picture of what each

Job or career requires a day or week or year.

Some jobs suck because they want you on

Call 24/7. Like doctors and lawyers and

Real estate salesmen, so lay out the jobs

That suit you the best. Good pay hopefully

With some free time or without company

Contacting you 24/7. Too much stress can

Wear you out.

How can you know what a "good" university is if you don't know what major your going to be in? Or by "good" do you mean a university with name recognition?