What if i dont  what student loans? Please help?

What if I refuse the loans on the fafsa? What if I dont want debt even though their need based loans?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best answer

You say no.

Our girls were offered loans. They said no. They got some money in Pell grants, and we and they worked to make sure they graduated debt free.

• Ranchmom1
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

No, they did not get more grants. They had a few small scholarships, and for the rest of it, we worked and they worked and we paid as the went. One did work study for a year, but found she made better money off campus.

• RICK
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

So don't accept thm

They are not mandatory

• martha4 weeks agoReport

So can you get a grant instead depending on income?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A need based loan is just that...a need based loan. That you still need to repay at some point. BEWARE. You'll probably be paying for the rest of your life and from beyond the grave. Don't be fooled by the word "need". The ones who need them most are the ones who are least likely to be able to repay them and will wind up suffering in a perpetual cycle of hardship and severe poverty...

• John1 month agoReport

How long it takes to pay it back depends on the payment plan you choose.  I got mine paid off in 10 years, with no trouble at all.  If you make smaller payments under a different payment plan it would take much longer, for sure.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you could try for grants or scholarships

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Loans aren't mandatory.

Lv 7
    1 month ago

Then refuse. It's totally your decision. My oldest son takes all the subsidized loans he can get and invests the funds. My younger son simply declines the loans.

Nobody is forcing you to go into debt.

• di
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

subsidized loans are for educational expenses, not investment purposes... your son actually signed a statement attesting to the fact that he will use the funds for educational expenses ONLY: his action is in violation of Title IV aid regulations.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

So do not accept the loans. What answer are you seeking?

• John1 month agoReport

You have asked this question about a hundred times. The answer is STILL the same, and will continue to be. You cannot haggle your financial aid. You are offered what you qualify for. If you don't want it, then you figure out a way to come up with tens of thousands of dollars on your own. Period.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.