College students: Is it "normal" to get money from parents to help out?

Hello,

So I am in my 2nd year of University and live pretty far from home now. In my 1st year, I landed a job at Starbucks and made pretty good money.

But, now being in my 2nd year, I have more intense courses to take along with volunteering at a hospital and recently getting hired as a academic tutor.

However! I don't get many hours tutoring so I am barely making $90 every 2 weeks....

Whenever my dad calls, he always asks "do you need money?" I always say No because I am too embarrassed to say I need help. My mom, however, kind of understands when I am struggling and just automatically deposits money maybe once every month.

IS THIS NORMAL? I feel like a complete bum, but..

(1) It's hard getting any job outside of food service that doesn't require credentials

(2) I am trying to get into medical school, so, I don't want to get a job that requires so many hours

Tutoring is so fun but...it's not paying me much. Is it "Okay" for college students to just get money from their parents every month?

• 1 year ago

You're not a bum... you're working yourAss off getting a college degree, and somehow you find a little time to make a few dollars working a part-time job.

If your parents are willing to help you, that's just fine. You are, after all, their child. I'm sure you appreciate your parents helping you out with finances.

take care!

• 1 year ago

i dont see anything wrong with it,thats what parents are for

• 1 year ago

If your parents are fine with helping you out and they can afford to then it’s no one else’s business. Just make sure to help your parents out financially if they lose their jobs or retire.

• Tepee
    1 year ago

There is no shame in accepting financial help from your parents, especially when they offer it. Your reluctance to allowing them to subsidize you while in school is foolish. Remember, their help will make it easier for you to concentrate on your studies and live with less stress about your budget.

1 year ago

If you're ok with this and your parents are ok with this, it's A-OK.

If you'd like to do as much as you can to be financially independent, you are free to stop tutoring and get a regular job. But if you and your parents think tutoring is valuable and they'd like to subsidize that, so be it. It's their money and they can do what they want with it.

• Jerry
    1 year ago

Yes, it's OK as long as APPRECIATE rather than EXPECT this.