Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 8 months ago

I'm American and this guy from London is here on Visa ?

Anyway we've become close but yesterday I was talking about the weather and he said oh we use celcius not farenheit because we're not stupid. Was he joking around or insulting me?

• Clive

That says more about him than anything, and is more a reflection of his age.

Celsius and Fahrenheit are both perfectly good scales, and the UK used Fahrenheit until relatively recently. I well remember in the 1970s when Mum got a new oven, it was in Celsius and she needed a conversion table to use her cookbooks. Fortunately the manufacturer provided lots of them on stickers so we could have one on every cookbook.

The government has been trying to make us "go metric" for the last 50 years and hasn't succeeded yet. Using Celsius is part of this, and yet even at my age (I'm only 54), I still think in both systems.

• Bear

I'm 59,and have never used Fahrenheit,apart from knowing the freezing point of water and its boiling point.

• Connor

We sometimes use both Celsius and Fahrenheit, as we used to use Fahrenheit, particularly in Cooking. Now we’ve shifted more towards Celsius!

• Burgoo

the english never really joke around, and they love condescending to americans, he hates you

• John P

Actually spelled "Celsius", with capital "C". And you should note that most of the world uses Celsius degrees, sometimes called Centigrade. It is notable that North America is the last significant bastion of the use of Fahrenheit degrees.

In Russia before the 1920s they used the slightly larger Reaumur degrees; zero was the freezing point of water, and 80 was boiling.

Joking around. It means he's accepted you as a friend. Being able to handle someone offering you an opportunity to self-deprecate (should you want to) is one of the keys to fitting in here. Even foreign diplomats who have had tens of thousands spent on their education seldom get it.

• PAMELA

He was insulting you.

A little bit of both but not so much at you as at Americans in general.

He is pulling your leg about the fact that almost the rest of the World uses Celsius. 

Fahrenheit remains the official scale for the following countries: the Bahamas, Belize, the Cayman Islands, Palau and the United States and associated territories (Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands).

• John P

Note that, apart from the USA, those territories are on the small side!

• Rick

Just the Metric way to measure temperature .....................