Fried Kitten asked in SportsHockey · 1 month ago

Maple Leafs – Team Signed Card, Value?

I have a Toronto Maple Leafs team card form 1978-1979.

It contains roughly 27 Maple Leaf players’ signatures.

These are hand-signed by pen; not machine-printed.

Some signatures are:

King Clancy

Daryl Sittler

Lanny McDonald

Borje Salming

Mike Palmateer

(1)

How many of these signatures should I pay to have authenticated?

(2)

How much should I list this card for when I auction it online?

(3)

Anything to beware of with authenticaters?

Thank you.

• Best answer

I'd take it to a card dealer or find someone who can authenticate signatures (this will not be free). Value? Sports memorabilia is incredibly hard to price; you could look on ebay for items but frankly many of them are fakes. It's really about what would the card be worth to someone. Also: you don't indicate the condition that the card is in. Obviously mint/new condition would be better than something that has obvious wear. I have a few Leafs collectibles but everything has been hand-signed and I've seen the person do it. Not really my thing to buy stuff through people I don't know. Best of luck.

• Bob

Sports collectibles and sports cards are hard to price,most cards are not worth a lot of money and even if it is you will probably not get the full or "fair" value for it .What you should do is take it to a card dealer and ask them about it.

• Jay

Already told you. If you want to sell it put it up for $10 on auction. See what kind of price it will end up with. You are guaranteed to lose whatever you put into it for authentication. Authentication is really only for those skeptical paranoid people that want to be sure what they have is real. Not to sell, only spent on things they are going to actually keep. You will be losing up to 900% of what you spend on authentication, depending on cost/what company is used.

• Fried Kitten

Jay’s comment was “If you thought they did, you would have already blown the hundreds on authentication.” I understood this to mean authentication would have cost me hundreds of dollars. Did I misunderstand Jay’s comment?