Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 2 months ago

what is the symbol for suicide?

hello, a friend killed himself not so long ago. I am thinking of getting a tattoo in reference to him. i am not sure what the symbol for suicide is, i am aware of the semi colon (;) but all i have found is that that representing preventing suicide and mental health

• W.T.

I've seen the reapers sickle with a/an small asterisk above the handle/blade

How bout getting an Ankh, the symbol for life? A tattoo of a symbol for suicide (not sure one exists) could send the wrong message. Best of luck.

• The semi colon tattoo is used as a message of affirmation and solidarity against suicide, depression, addiction, and other mental health issues. Suicide often happens because of a mental health issue such as depression.

Sorry for your loss, maybe get some thing that represents your friend along with the semi colon.

Here are a few other tattoos using the semi colon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=suicide+prevention...

• patty

what about just his initials

Get something that he liked, not referencing his suicide.

• David

There is no such symbol.  Why did he kill himself?

• Kaz

I wasn't aware there was a "symbol" for suicide. I think I'd rather have a tattoo in memoriam that didn't highlight his final moments on this earth. I'd want a happier reminder or remembrance of my friend.

• Laura

I'm sorry about your friend.

I think its great that you want to get a tattoo in remembrance of him.

However, there is no universal symbol that represents death by suicide. There is the semicolon, but that is overdone and has lost its meaning.

I would get a tattoo that reminds you of your friend. This could be any image, but it should remind you of your friend and the good times you had together.

I personally have a few tattoos for friends and family members, each image reminds me of a specific time with them, and it makes for a more interesting tattoo.

• amy

not a symbol for suicide but in my culture the rose can mean a few things including the death of a loved one. Apparently the rose as a lost loved one is popular as others use it as well. Though they use it poorly. Blue for dead one. Red for live loved one. Kind of classless compared to the origin idea. Death should always be a black/grey rose.

Edit: Im poor but Im over due for three rose tattoos. One for my dad, my cousin and for my family.

Rest In Peace?????????