Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 9 months ago

What should I do if my parents divorce after I already filled out the fafsa? ?

My family has been very poor throughout my life but now my parents are about to divorce and I'm going to be living with my mom who doesn't have any income currently. It was only my dad who made money. Should I edit the form or is it too late... I've already started my college classes and this school is kinda on the expensive side so... If I could receive more financial aid that'd be very helpful.

• di

Also keep in mind, that if you are from a "very poor" family, you may already be receiving maximum aid, so there would be no net effect on this year's aid.

• nancy

For this year's FAFSA (19/20) you should work with your school's financial aid department on this issue. In general, in a situation like this, changing the FAFSA involves a process called Professional Judgment (PJ) in which the school collects documentation of the changes and then corrects your FAFSA for you. Schools are not required to exercise PJ, but most will if there would be significant impact on the aid. Keep in mind that if your parents have not yet divorced, then it's likely that your father has been contributing to the household expenses for most of this year, so the school may choose to include that income when they make the adjustment. For next year's FAFSA (20/21) you should use only your mother's information and choose "separated or divorced" for her marital status.

• Eva

Go the the financial aid office at your school and tell them about the change in circumstances. They can advise you if you need to update your FAFSA. Your mother should be receiving alimony (maintenance) from your dad.

• Mercy

unusual situation

talk to fafsa/financial aid office.

• John9 months agoReport

FAFSA is an application. Trying to talk to it will accomplish nothing, and would make you look like a lunatic. You would have much more success actually speaking to a human being. Contact your financial aid administrator, and see if they can help.

• y

More now means more in debt later, just keep that in mind as you go through this process.