promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 months ago

I am a Catholic and wondering why dinosaurs are not mentioned in the Bible?

Please correct me if I am wrong fellow Christians.

81 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

I don't know that they aren't. There are at least two creatures that sound like dinosaurs, namely Behemoth and Leviathan. Some people would have you believe that Behemoth is described as having external bones, but it is not. It is described simply as having a tough armor of sorts. Limitations of the descriptions of the time, to be sure.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

The first known dinosaur fossils were discovered in England in 1819 by William Buckland, who published his findings in 1824.

The first Bible was a hand-written manuscript, created between 325 and 384 by a committee of Roman Catholic scholars. This means the first Bible was created 1435 years before anyone knew dinosaurs ever existed, which is bad news for the notion that the Bible is the "word of God."

• 8 months ago

I'm a Greek Orthodox Christian and I'm wondering why a Catholic Christian would think there was a reason for dinosaurs to be mentioned in the Bible.

• 8 months ago

The wirters of the Bible lived before the discovery of fossils and therefore were unaware of the existence of the dionsaurs.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

They are, but they are called DRAGONS in the bible.

• 8 months ago

They are. They are called leviathan.

• Glenn S
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Behermoth and Leviathans......Job 40:15–24, Job 3:8, Psalms 74:13. 2nd century BCE Book of Enoch they are mentioned even though Enoch is not a part of the bible/scripture.

• 8 months ago

In Genesis 4:4 KJV It says "There were giants in the earth in those days, and after that........" Fallen angels produced giants and men of renown like Hercules, Zeus, Thor. They taught mankind evil and God has put them away for a particular time in the future. Dinosaurs would have been a bad problem for mankind so surely God would have taken them out with the flood of Noah. Giant men came through the flood because of Goliath and other giants mentioned in the Bible. Giant sea creatures similar to dragons are mentioned in the Book of Job. An animal with a tail like a cedar is mentioned in the Book of Job also. Job could be speaking of what Noah told him about the first world or some peculiar creature could have been on the earth at that time. One must remember that Noah brought news of the First World before the flood with him and told stories to his 3 sons and their wives. Always remember, the Bible is always about Jesus the Christ. It is not about us or animals, it is about Jesus and how God loves us so much that He came down in human flesh and redeemed us. God doesn't break His laws and God doesn't break covenant.

• Glenn S
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Men are not dinosaurs.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

1. because the Bible is not a book of science. 2. because dinosaurs have nothing to do with God's plan of salvation, which is the subject matter of the Bible. 3. because no-one of biblical times had a clue that anything like dinosaurs had ever existed.

• 8 months ago

Birds are mentioned in the Bible. Also the Leviathan and Behemoth. But it isn't clear to me why it would mention dinosaurs. It doesn't mention kangaroos or centipedes either, or trilobites. They just aren't relevant to everyday life.

• ...Show all comments
    • Bryan8 months agoReport

Why was the Leviathan and Behemoth mentioned and not dinosaurs, they would have eaten early humans so they were relevant. Do you believe in wizards, dragons, witches, and zombies, they are mentioned in the bible?

• 8 months ago

Apart from birds, dinosaurs were not known about at the time the Bible was written, because they had been dead for millions of years. Some Christians will tell you that the Behemoth from Job was a dinosaur, but it is described as having external 'stones' (testes), which dinosaurs did not.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.