What do you think is the atheists strongest argument against Christianity?

I am a Christian, but I have my opinion as to what the strongest argument might be that would hinder an atheist from becoming a believer, but I was wanting some input from others.  Please keep this civil and please don't give a flood of different arguments.  Just give what you think is the ONE most compelling argument.  (For example, if you think it is an alleged contradiction in the scriptures, just give the ONE that you feel is the MOST compelling.)  Actually, as a Christian, I have never heard an argument against Christianity that couldn't be answered and that hasn't been answered many times in the past, but perhaps you have one I haven't heard before.  Again, let's don't argue!  I'm just wondering what prevents others from believing.  (Also please identify if you are a Christian, atheist, agnostic, Jew, or other religious persuasion.)

While there is not as many specific answers/examples as I had hoped, there seems to be several categories that appear fairly often. 

These include (in no particular order)

Unanswered prayers or human suffering

People who have not seen, have not seen, do not recognize or deny the existence available evidence.  (Although most in this group seem to have not looked for any.)

Alleged Bible contradictions (but I have had a hard time getting anyone to tell me the one they find most compelling).

Division among “Christians”.  Jesus recognized this problem and said that unity would help others to believe (John 17:20-21)

So many “Fake Christians” or false gods. But just because there are counterfeits, that does not mean the real thing does not exist.  If someone had 10 pieces of money and 9 are counterfeit, does that mean the real one does not exist?

Of course, some gave the “I’m right because Christianity BS”, but that really offers nothing to support their view.

Some said the answers to objections offered have been invalid, but gave few (if any) examples.  Of course, it could be that the objection was also an invalid objection to begin with.

Anyway, I am thankful that most of the answers were civil.  We can discuss these matters without being mean or nasty!  In fact, we should do so.

I purposefully chose a "best answer" that presented a view I do not agree with, but they did give examples, which many did not. 

"I am a Christian"

Ok.

"I have my opinion as to what the strongest argument might be that would hinder an atheist from becoming a believer"

My ability to clearly separate fantasy and reality.

A good education helps with that.

Stories about gods are not plausible.

The idea that there might be an invisible magic being in the sky is just offending to an educated mind.

There are many very different stories about many very different gods. There is nothing that suggests that any of them might be a true story. All civilizations had their own religion with their own gods. Later they all turned out to be nothing but stories. No exception. And there is no reason to assume that todays religions are any different in that regard.

"but I was wanting some input from others."

You are welcome.

"Please keep this civil and please don't give a flood of different arguments."

Why no flood?

Religion is wrong on so many levels.

• JoeBama

While I don't agree with this person, he gave some reasons that are compelling to him.  These reasons can be easily answered, and have been many times; but as for answering what I asked, this person did so.

• bubba

Australia , a place time forgot and so did the gods , they left it the the mother earth and gave us wattle

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 

For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 

So much for you being a Christian !

There aren't any. The reason why atheists become atheists is not based on reason or logic, despite that common claim. The main reason why they argue against Christianity is that it goes against their worldview.

Christianity points to a loving God, one with so much love for humanity that he arranged to sacrifice his most beloved son in order for us to reconcile ourselves to him. Atheism is based on believing that any god is a creation of humans, and any story about God is a fiction. But all fictional god stories describe someone with human flaws - all except one.

The true God's love is so encompassing, so self-sacrificing, that it is greater than anything that a human would be willing to imagine, show, or even have. And Jesus' death and resurrection are not just proven by some ancient scroll, but by the testimony of the sacrifice of the first century Christians who would rather die than deny him. This truth cannot be denied, because it is even attested to by people who hated Christianity - the Romans and the Jews of the first century.

The real and true God would not let that testimony die with his Son. The single most printed, distributed and sold book in the entire world history is the one that tells the account of his human ancestry, life, death and resurrection, and also the accounts and words of his followers who would not keep silent, even at the risk of their lives.

Atheists who have been willing to move their world view aside for just a moment, long enough to grasp the uniqueness and gravity of this testimony, have been able to see and sense the One who is invisible, and develop faith in this true God, and His plan to reconcile thos of humankind who are willing to be drawn to Him. through His Son and our Redeemer, Jesus Christ.

• Roberta B

SOME who say they are Christians say that Jesus was God.  They are really Constantinians - or those who follow the teachings of the fourth century Roman Emperors who introduced the unscriptural Trinity doctrine.
      https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101989276

I don't think they have a argument.. their just waiting to see something go haywire . like it already hasn't in the catholic religion and say ... oh we knew all along

The strongest involves many of the negative behavioral practices (killing those who are not one of "us", persecutions, etc) and many of the supernatural claims (many of which could be understood metaphorically based on the writings of the era).

It should be, "Because there are no gods, there's no need to argue against Christianity any more than there's a need to argue against all other religions. We can dismiss the lot of them, without argument, because there are no gods."

Yet, somehow, that never is their line, because they just want to argue, and predominantly against Christianity which obviously is the greatest, felt danger to atheism. Now, why would that be, if - as atheism claims - there simply are no gods? Methinks they protest too much.

• Annsan_In_Him

lobby of atheists in Western nations is fighting hard to get laws changed to shove religion out. Imagine what they would do if they came into the ascendancy!

The NT, and all the lies in it.  Those so-called NT prophecies came by way of  writers having plagiarized the OT. 

• Gone Galt1 month agoReport

antonius, if the evidence is right in front of us, then it would be easy for you to present it. But you do not. Where is your evidence that the Romans invented Christianity? Saying my comments are stupid is not evidence. It says more about you than about me.

I choose to base my beliefs in empirical evidence. So far, I haven't seen empirical evidence for the existence of God.

• antonius

The god believers haven't either.  But they must try to protect that imagination.

This is tricky because atheists know different things where not all atheists are familiar with Christianity and it's history and simply see the premise as flawed, meaning no good reasons to support even the remote possibility of Gods, making all God based religions false concerning any Gods. I am however very familiar with the Christian religion and it's history where the strongest argument against Christianity is the bible itself. The NT writers, based on how they wrote and the sources they clearly used to reverse engineer the character of Jesus is a dead giveaway that Christianity is indeed made up with an agenda in mind. In a nutshell, the NT writers often take references to Israel and its people and substitute their character of Jesus. One example is the suffering servant of Isaiah 52/53 that christians will tell you is a prophecy for the future Jesus. However if you read further back leading up to this, Isaiah several times tells you that the servant is Israel and is explaining why the Hebrews had to suffer the captivity by the Babylonians, where Isaiah even tells us using the "past tense" that the suffering had already occurred. There are many, many of these kinds of examples of the NT writers misrepresenting the OT for the sake of their character Jesus and the story/message they wished to convey. Learning the history also helps to understand just how menacing Christians were with most external sources referring to Christians and the supposed Jesus in an unfavorable light.

• Rogan

Simple.

The absolute and total lack of any indication of a god ever existing

• Gone Galt1 month agoReport

Broton, "logic" is my middle name. If you (those who believe only in logic and science can be used to explain anything) want to be restricted by logic then the only possible argument, from logic and science, is that "we cannot prove or disprove God" and "we cannot know what created the universe.