Tub drain has never been snaked since I have lived here 30 years. Will it make it drain faster? I am in an inch of water after a shower.?

Drain pipes to my concrete slab house have pressure leak underground. its been that way since the 90s. I have had to snake my toilet 3 times. As long as its only toilet paper flushing there are no issues.

• John P

I love that language used by Americans. Who else would "snake" a drain?!

Snaking only helps if there is something at least partially blocking the line

If the drain is slow due to buildup on the walls of the drain line, clearing it out should help. baking soda chased by vinegar is another way to attack buildup.

Take out the plug. If you have one of those pop down chrome plugs, then it unscrews Lefty loosy. Now when you look down the drain hole you should see a chrome " + ". If you do not see it and yet your finger is stopped by something when you put it in the drain, the chrome cross is there. Now you need skinny fingers with fingernails. Stick a finger down the drain and use the fingernail to scrape the one length of the cross(so either vertical or horizontal) and drag the fingernail across the length and then continue to drag up the side of the pipe into the tub. The fingernail will have scraped up hair and clear jello. Do it several times one way and then on the other length and it will bring up more "hairy gumbo" Take that goop out and either flush it down the toilet or into a garbage can.

. When you now look down the drain you can clearly see the chrome cross bar which stops big chunks of soap and clods of dirt from entering the plumbing pipes.. But the hair gets caught on it so it takes quite a bit to slow it down as much as you have right now.

Once you pull out this mess and dispose of it in the garbage can or glue it back on your head...it is yours - I am not telling you what to do with it.

Now you clearly see the chrome cross. Now what I did as I had the bonus round...I went to the kitchen and made some boiling water in cookpots on the stove so it is a ROLLING BOIL. Now, carried the pot back into the bathroom and from a standing height poured the very hot water right down the drain hole only into the hole like a waterfall so it flushes out the pipes of GUMBO SOAP that would be laying there to flush out the 30 feet of pipe to the septic tank or sewer system. After the couple of pots, about 2 gallons of boiling water total, I then ran the hot water straight out of the tap for 3-5 minutes down the drain at fully open.

. You lose hair from your head and other body parts every day. You have been using soap and shampoo and hair conditioner everytime you step into the shower.& dead skin & dirt & sweat&miscellaneous.

THAT should clear up the piping. COST= time You have not been flushing out the pipes well enough after every shower so the dirt and soap gumbo lays in the pipe where it lays almost level and dries and just builds up and hardens. Eventually it would, but not in your case. It is the hair in the drain chunk catcher that is plugging up your system.

. This drainage problem can also occur in the sink where you brush your teeth. If you use minimal water, yeah the whole pipe is blocked with gumbo. I use the hot water as a way to melt through the soap, and other stuff.

. As you know Hair is fairly resilient to all sorts of chemicals. Drain cleaners are basically acids and hair goes "So What?" Fire is the only thing that destroys natural hair. Which is why you got to clean it out manually.

It is a long write but it is all relevant. Know you know.

That is unless the outside of your property is in a FLOOD ZONE. THEN YOU SHOULD BE LIVING IN A BOAT. But I am trusting you can see the lawn.

I have never needed a snake...and in this situation, you need a skinny finger.

Try it first. It is cheapest way to go. However since the 90's suggests a poorly plumbed system...that Barely has a grade to the sewer pipes. If you are on septic, then maybe the tank needs cleaning?

time to have the drains snaked from the roof via the vent stack. plumber job

Yes, snaking it will probably help, but it is probably not related to the the under slab break unless you have multiple breaks. If the break is after the point where the tub and toilet drains combine the snaking the toilet would help the tub. Your problem is probably hair and soap before the pipes even combine. If you are in a really old house and have a drum trap it is suppose to be accessible from below so you can open and clean it out.

• y

Pressure leak under ground? I have no idea what that means. Snaking a toilet is much different then snaking a main drain line and the original low flow toilets from the late 80's and 90's. Were notorious for clogging. Many tub drains are a lever types, often right below the spout. Those levers are often connected by linage to some sort of drop plug. If you unscrew the lever and pull the entire assembly up, you'll often find it covered with hair and crap and that crap. Is actually causing the slow draining of the tub. It's an easy check, it will take you five minutes.

A tub is supposed to drain slowly but not unreasonably so. You have probably got a build up of soap and grease in the pipe so snaking it out seems wise or use a drain cleaner if it is all inaccessible.

• Andy C

Use a snake if you have one. After, use a foaming liquid drain cleaner to finish the job.

Often, tubs have traps under them and access to the trap may be from the downstairs ceiling. or through a nearby wall.

• mokrie

Yup, your all clogged up and snaking it out will make a big difference. Ask around for a really good plumber.

• STEVEN F

A SNAKE is as effective and less expensive as a plumber.

• In

Pour liquid drain cleaner in the tub drain to clear the blockage of hair and soap. Tub drains often have a drum trap and a snake will not work on that.