Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 month ago

Made a mistake while driving...?

So this afternoon i was driving around the neighborhood since i just got my license, and i probably made a mistake. I was approaching a intersection with the right side, you can clearly see vehicles, HOWEVER, on the left side i can't see anything unless i pull up on the road (which is dangerous) and since i didn't see anyone i tried to go make the left turn but suddenly i saw a car heading south and immediately honked at me, i went and make the turn as fast as i could, having more cars on my back heading north.

I keep having thoughts about this, i mean i know this is failure to yield but i did not see that car until the last minute, usually when i see cars, i yield, but apparently it may not be the case.

Is this normal for this to happen, and if i do get into an accident will it be my fault? (speed limit is around 30 mph but i suspect he was doing more than that)

And the house's fences/trees were blocking my view btw

yeah should've knew not to make the left turn when i can't see it (feel like a dumbass) but i am a new driver and luckily there was no accident, guess we have to learn from our mistakes.

and for those who don't see my "question"

i already typed it out for ya, (above the first update)

"Is this normal for this to happen, and if i do get into an accident will it be my fault? (speed limit is around 30 mph but i suspect he was doing more than that)"

• car253

Your fault. Blocking your view is not an excuse.

It would be your fault, for two reasons:

1. The official reason, which the police, the insurance companies, etc., would use is a combination of failure to yield and that the other car was correct to go first and you should have let it go first and waited to go after it.

2. My personal reason is that anyone is probably at fault is that person says the other driver was going faster than the speed limit (if the other driver is really at fault, then there will be a better reason to give).

Oh no that’s not good at all

There are a number of 'blind turns' or 'blind hills' that I have to deal with on a regular basis - I do a couple of things to make sure I don't pull out in front of people and risk collision (I ride a motorcycle too - which gives me even more reason to be careful).

Depending on the intersection, you can sometimes see cross-traffic before you actually reach the intersection - so even if a bush or something is blocking your view when you stop, you will already know that nobody is coming.

I generally drive with my windows down (or at least part way down) so I can hear if cars are coming. If it's at night you can also watch for headlights.

If you can't see anything at all, then sometimes you can creep forward at the intersection (ready to stop at any second) until you can get a clear look - then pull out. Once I commit to pulling out, I nail it - hard, that way if some idiot is flying around a blind corner, I have a better chance of getting past them and into my lane.

Unfortunately there are some intersections where you just can't see anything - so the suggestion to simply make a right-hand turn, then find someplace to get turned around is better than just hoping nobody is coming.

Keep in mind that if you see a dangerous situation like overgrown bushes, etc. - you can always report it to non-emergency police.

So yeah it would have been your fault. What you are supposed to do is pull up to the intersection and STOP AND LOOK WHERE YOU CAN SEE. Hoping it will be clear isn't the proper technique. I'll admit it happens more then people will admit, and also plenty of collisions happen this way.

If you were to get in an accident in that situation you will be at fault. The mistake here is that the examiner allowed you to get a license. You're dangerous.

• Bort

Was it a stop light or a stop sign? Assuming it was a stop sign because it's never allowed to turn left during a red light this would be mostly your fault if there were an accident but it would also be the other drivers fault partially if they were speeding.

You have to do the best you can do see around blind spots. I assume the blind spot is the verticle structure post of the vehicle? Or were there trees or something outside? If the blind spot is on the vehicle it self do whatever you have to to see around it; lean way forward or back. Stick your head out the window if you have to.

If they were within visible sight of the intersection, yes you should've yield, but maybe they were coming too fast, and that then would not be your fault. But I wouldnt even worry. Everyone makes mistakes when they first start driving, some even after they master the skill.

You also made another mistake by not asking a question.

• Oh JackAss1 month agoReport

"
      Is this normal for this to happen?, and if i do get into an accident will it be my fault?"

It's always safer to make a right turn.

If you can't see the traffic on a left turn = DON'T MAKE THE TURN, make 3 rights instead to get you around to the street you want. UPS drivers rarely are authorized to make left turns. Or go to an intersection with a light.

Yes, it would have been your fault had an accident occurred.

• Oh JackAss1 month agoReport

Yeah, as a new driver, didn't knew that, gonna at least stay making right turns in situations like this from now on