Do you think there's any chance in the near future for solar powered cars?

Also what do you think of the idea?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Will.
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

It is a good idea. Every car has a solar panel built into it and it powers the vehicle. It will not come in any time soon though as so much has already been invested in electric cars.

• 1 month ago

some already exist, are being used. check out neighborhood electric vehicles. Florida, New Mexico in selected neighborhoods allowed some special Yamaha Golf Carts on village streets, some bike paths. basic electric golf cart with regenerative drive, ROPS for safety had solar panels on top, some side that would charge battery while setting in sun, basic tailights, horn, head lights, 25 mph top speed so it was licensed in same class as a 'moped' . One test had charged battery 'car' last 3 months(end of test grant money) and not recharged from grid , used 100 miles a week min, battery still about 3/4 charged. this was sunny days 5 days of seven at least, short trips, not much at night and longest trips were 25 miles. Some places have had 3 wheelers- the Tuk-Tuks, Samlors, legal motorcycles get tops made of solar cells to recharge batteries- couple of Indian cities with pollution alerts , Thailand, a test in Taiwan and some reported in China being used as supplement to grid charging. These are not 'Cars' but legally motorcycles or motor driven cycles , don't require bumpers, air bags or other heavy safety equipment but are legal on city streets same as bicycles, motor assisted bicycles which is what they are usually classed as. SO, right now there are a few solar powered veheciles, some classed with cars, others classed as motorcycles or bicycles in use in limited form.

• 1 month ago

This is no different than an electric car. Nothing says you couldn't use external solar panels to charge it and panels on top of the vehicle to continue to feed the vehicle. A battery would store energy as they do today. The largest challenge is energy used to energy added. It takes a lot of energy to go from stop to moving, which is where you consume the most energy. The other issue is fairly obvious, lack of sun light means more consumption than added energy, which would limit the vehicle on cloudy days or during the evening. Could it be a supplement to other means of energy? That might be closer than you may realize.

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Even on overcast days (rare, Here). 25% of the UV makes it through. We have sunshine 364 days/year, here.

• Jensen
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

In the near future - no, one day - yes.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Joe
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

What is a solar powered cat ?  I never heard of such a ridiculous thing !!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Well, my pocket calculator works in room light, so that means very little light. The electric motor as we know it has to be WAY more efficient and less of an energy hog.

Still problematic at night.

• M.
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

How about the photovoltaic cells need to be more efficient? They need to produce more power per surface area!

• 1 month ago

"in the near future".....no, but it will happen some day. Not in MY lifetime though.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i think anything is possible

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

More than Possible. I have designed it on paper. Only good for 45 minutes at 45 MPH tops BUT that is 70% of the driving I do. Recharges in an hour.

• 1 month ago

Solar panels cannot produce enough power to charge the batteries required to run an electric car, but hydrogen fuel cells can and that's where the future lies. There is no pollution and water is the byproduct of this process.

• FOXY Di
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

The fuel is not burnt but converted to electricity so the chance of an explosion is negligible. In fact a tank of petrol (gas) is every bit as dangerous. Solar powered cars are impossible and you've been told this by other users. Accept it.

• 1 month ago

I get the feeling that they might even fly if they are solar powered.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.