Why am I getting less work hours?

I recently started a new job as a waitress but manager has started to slowly decrease my hours first it was 5hours,then 4 hours and then 3 and now it’s 2 hours and the manger sends me home after those two hours but other staff members stay till closing time.Why is this?

Also is the manger allowed to do this 

as stated they typically do this because 1. business is slow they often pick the newest person to go home early and reduce the hours 2. they dislike you for whatever reason. i've had this happen to me because the new sous chef hated me despite i been there longer then her. i ended up quitting work enivornment was so damn toxic.

they will send people home to save the business money.

trust me if your company is doing this QUIT.. nothing good ever comes from companies like this and management that run things like this. if it's slow managers and owners need to come up with ideas to get business booming, if employee's are under performing managers need to work more with said employee and make sure they are up to par. 2-3 a shift every 4 hours is a waste of anyones time.

worked in the restaurant industry for years it shouldn't be that slow that they have to dock your hours that badly and if it is immediate action needs to be taken which is not your job it's the owners/managers job and if they can't even handle paying you decent hours 5+ a shift then they need to stop hiring until they get their shet together. there is a reason why people stop coming to a restaurant almost ALWAYS it's the food. you could have bad service but if your food is fking good trust me people will continue to come in. it's kind of hard to have such bad service though i mean you really need to not give any fks about your job to let it get that bad.

There could be many reasons

1) Business is slow and often times a resturant will do what's known as a "audit", the owner/manager will look at where the company is losing money, and which areas they feel need to be slashed in order to break even at the very least, save money at best. It could be that the owner feels there is too many servers on during the dinner rush, and will cut back the amount of servers on a given night, and limiting hours.

2) The other reason could be the manager feels you are struggling to keep up, and is reducing your hours, and will most likely just lay you off in the near future.

3) The 3rd reason could be your manager has a personal grudge against you, and is looking to strike back at you by curbing your hours downward, in an attempt to make your life miserable.

Can the manager do this? Yes, he or she can! That is the person who makes the schedule, so they list who they want working and days/hours as well. My advice would be speak to your manager about your hours, hopefully its issue #1 and not the others, at least this way you know you're not at fault. However, if its issue #2, I strongly recommend you work with your manager to figure out how to better deal with the dinner rush.

Businesses, in general, have two reasons for this. Either business is slowing down or they're not happy with your performance. If they're not happy with your performance this is a way in which they encourage you to quit.

• Laura

We don't know, we aren't your manager.

Ask them.

• PAMELA

How the hell would we know,ask the manager,and why is this in the cat section?

Is your boss Jewish? Maybe he doesn’t wanna give too much money. U know how Jews are

Maybe ask if you could get more hours, if not then you should find out why you have so little. You would think that managers would love to hear you're asking for more, mine would, but I work 12 hour shifts, 48 hour weeks and starting my first ever night shift in 2 and a half hours 7pm-7am pulling an all nighter. I switch back and forth from two days and two nights now. I won't be asking for more hours or overtime, I'll tell you that straight up. I just gotta do this rubbish for one year, unless a miracle happens and I go back to my usual shift with my homies. 4 days on, 3 days off.

• Eva

Waitress work is dependent on the number of customers that come in. If it's a slow day/night, someone is going to get sent home. Generally it would be the newest hire. People who have been there longer and/or are faster than you are going to get more hours.

• lola1 month agoReport

But even on a busy night which is generally fridays,saturdays and Sundays I get sent home.

Either business is slow, or they don't like you and they're hoping that you'll leave on your own.