Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 month ago

Scared of doing Martial arts?

Hello sirs I am a 40 year old software engineer from India working in Wales.

I have booked to go in a judo class in Wales but I am very scared.

I had two lessons now and the wales man are very friendly and helpful. I only stand and watch them.

But the falling part I am very scared. They throw each other very hard and powerful and I am about 8 stone and very short compared to them. Please tell me sir how to fall in judo or I am scared and getting hurt.

One Wales young man throw me and my rib hurt now. I have used ice and turmeric powder. I am not sure to continue this.

• Paul

you are 40 ..your bones are brittle ..one more fall and that may

need bone replacement ...those "instructors " just want your hard

earned $ ...lucky u have the turmurec...

You need to find a martial arts gym where they train in a more gentle way, like the one I go to.  I have been learning boxing and have sparred 207 rounds already and have never been hurt beyond a slight bruise.  Some gyms practice safety.  And I am 69 years old!  My bones are not brittle and neither are yours.  Sure I was scared at first but if you can find a gym where they practice safely you will stop being scared as you gain experience.  If I can do this at 69, surely you can do it at 40.  

if your getting hurt maybe go somewhere else? or another martial art?

It sounds like this place might be a bit rough.

With a newcomer, they should be teaching you how to fall more safely, and they should not be putting you in any situation that you are not ready for.

Explain your concerns to them. Tell them that you got injured last time, and that so far you are worried about getting hurt, worried enough that you are not sure you want to continue. If these instructors are good guys, then they will help you, and make sure that you are able to handle what is expected in the class.

See what they have to say. If they are not fully supportive of you, then you should consider a different martial arts dojo. I should point out that Judo training does involve a lot of throwing and falling, and not every martial art is like that, at least in the beginning. You may want to consider signing up for Karate, or Aikido, and then trying Judo later if you are interested.

There's more than one martial art. If you don't like the falling, take up kung fu or Krav Maga or T'ai Chi.

• ?

Thats what the classes are supposed to be about, how to throw someone, and how ro land safely when youre thrown. Keep at it and it'll get easier