benny asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Can I build muscle from cycling.?

If I ride my bike on the hardest gear, pedaling as hard as I can for as long as I can. Will I be able to build muscle this way.

• olivia

Cycling alone will primarily build muscle endurance so it is always recommended that you get down to the gym and use other exercises to build that all important power. Squats and leg presses will help you to build muscles. However, that isn't to say that it is impossible to use cycling to build leg muscle.

Being a really good cyclist means knowing how to use the bike efficiently. Bikes are intended to be used for transportation be it commuting, racing, hauling or whatever. Benefits can include better muscle tone and improved cardio.

Bicycles aren't intended to build muscle mass. If a gear is to hard or to easy to comfortably maintain a cadence (crank rpm) of 70-90 it means you're in the wrong gear. You should get a bicycle computer with a heart monitor and cadence meter on it. Then you can use gear selection and a vary cadence of 70-90 to maintain a target heart rate.

Efficient shifting means knowing how to shift to the next higher or lower ratio with the fewest moves and least resistance. An example of efficient shifting would be something like this: a 2×9 drive, lowest to highest gear ratio 1(1-6), 2(4-9) for 12 non redundant ratios. Redundant gearing serves no useful purpose; it only causes confusion.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
  • GTB

this will build some muscle, and help your cardio vascular system as well

A) You will not build as much muscle as one might think.  B) You'll blow your knees out.  Normal cycling will NOT build muscle mass.  It tones leg & butt muscles.  If you want to bulk up...go to a gym & work with weights.  

• If I ride my bike on the hardest gear, pedaling as hard as I can for as long as I can. Will I be able to build muscle this way.

you will build bulkier muscles pedaling at the highest resistance. nutrition also plays a big part in the results you will get out of exercise.

• Aiden

You can build muscle from cycling. However cycling builds different muscles to almost every other sport. It's very unique in this case.

I really really wouldn't recommend riding on your hardest gear though. It will seriously destroy your legs I can guarantee that.

If you want to push yourself, ride on the hardest gear for short intervals and then switch to a lighter gear to recover. About 3 minutes of pushing yourself and then 10 minutes for recovery will improve yourself so much more than just riding solely on the hardest gear.

Overusing your legs will definitely help build muscle faster, but it will harm more than help. Especially in the long run. So that's why I say do things in short intervals. It's the same with any exercise and the reason professionals don't push themselves to the limit 24/7.

Other ways to develop the necessary muscles for cycling is by doing squats, lunges, deadlifting and burpees. Running up and down stairs are good for it too, but obviously holds it's own risks.

I'm sure there are more ways, but I can't be bothered to google them xD Sorry.

Good luck my man. Stay safe and take it easy.

You could more by recycling. Walk, bend over, pick up something, carry it and walk again.

You will certainly build some muscle in your legs, an appropriate amount for cycling, but you won't be maximizing your potential muscle growth.  However you don't need to be maximizing your potential muscle growth.  It depends on what your goals are.  Not everybody has to or should look like a body builder. There is such a thing as general fitness but for the most part fitness is more or less specific to the activity.