What terms dictate years?

I know about 1 year, everybody does.

I know that 10 years is a "decade".

I know that 20 years is a "score".

I know that 100 years is a "century".

and I know that 1,000 years is a "Millennium".

Are there any other terminology that denotes a collection of a certain number of years that I should know about? And I'm not talking the half terms like Bicentennial or anything like that.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best answer

Interesting. I did some searching and found this site. (https://www.quora.com/If-a-decade-is-10-years-is-t...

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In other languages and cultures there are words for very large numbers of years (and very large amounts of money, etc) but in English as used in Britain I cannot think of other words beyond those you mention.

Note that "score" was a more general word for "twenty" in times past. The KJV Bible speaks of "three score years and ten" as a good age for a man. Even Abraham Lincoln used "score" in his Gettysburg address.

"Decade" and "century" and "millennium" derive from Latin - think of Roman "centurions" - officers in charge of groups of 100 soldiers.

• 1 month ago

"Decade" means "ten years," but "score" does not mean "twenty years." It just means "twenty" (of anything).

When Lincoln said "Four score and seven years," he means "Four-times-twenty-then-add-seven, that's how many years."

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.