Confused on center left turn lanes?

So I'm currently learning how to drive, and I encountered a center left turn lane. The center left turn lane lead to a Walmart, so there was an entry way to and from the Walmart parking lot. When I entered the center left turn lane to turn, there were a line of cars waiting to exit Walmart and turn left. I'm confused on who is allowed to enter/exit first. Is it all of the cars who arrived there first to exit, or am I allowed to turn left? Do I wait for one car to exit, then I have the right to turn left? If we both turn at the same time, we will definitely hit each other.

• car253

You have the right of way if your turning left into the parking lot. Traffic coming out of the parking lot onto the street have to yield to oncoming traffic. Great question. I wished more people asked. There are lots of accidents that happen this way.

• JuanB

I would suspect in such a setup the traffic leaving would have a stop sign or yield sign and you would have the right of way.

If there is no traffic light and no stop sign, then you go first (traffic already on a street goes before traffic turning from a parking lot into the street).

If there is a traffic light, then whomever has a green light goes first, and whomever has a red light waits.

If the cars in the parking lot have a stop sign and you don't, then you go first and they wait.

If you have a stop sign and they don't, then they all go first and you wait.

If you have a stop sign and they also have a stop sign, then whomever is already in the front of the line goes first, then you go, then whomever is next in the line goes.

• g

Motorist exiting a parking lot always have to yield the right of way to motorists on the main thoroughfare.  The only exception would be if the two are regulated by a traffic light.  

You do always unless other traffic control measures are in place.

• Ron

In that situation, all cars out on the road have the right of way

• Phil M

The ones leaving the parking lot must yield. Those entering have right of way.

I'm having a hard time picturing what you're describing. In most left turn situations, you allow oncoming traffic to turn first and then you turn left. If two or more cars arrive at an intersection, the car to the right goes first.

• Ron

left turn from a road into a parking lot, no intersection

• Bill

If two vehicles reach the intersection at the same time, the one on the right goes first.