Is it appropriate to ask performers in pubs to play traditional songs about the IRA when visiting Ireland?

I’m Irish and my Ancestors fought for Irish independence, but I’m American...growing up I always liked song like “come out you back and tans” “go on home British soldiers” and “kinky boots”...Im visiting Ireland this summer and I’d love to hear those songs sung in local pubs it’s just something I’d like to hear...but I know the IRA is still an active organization and not being from Ireland I don’t know how it’s seen today or what it’s modern stigmas are...a lot of these also make fun of Britain and British soldiers...as a foreigner is it appropriate to ask to have these songs played...any insight would be helpful.

I would like to thank everyone for there answers thus far but there are just a few things id like to clarify...these are songs ive heard in Irish pubs in the united states about the wanting of Irland to be its own country...these are songs of freedom and people fighting for there individual rights...I'm not trying to be offensive... these are old songs from the late 1800s and early 1900s...

Irrespective of the lick **** west Brit answers on here the reality is those songs are sang in many pubs around Ireland every night of the week

Source(s): reality
  • Andrew

The first thing that you need to understand is that you're not Irish. Just because you have some Irish ancestry, that doesn't mean that you're Irish. You're Irish-American, and if you were to visit here, you'd be a guest. We're not interested in your politics or what you'd like to hear. You Americans don't seem to understand that you don't have the right to ask people to do things the way you do them back where you come from simply because it would make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. We Irish have a lot of history with the Brits and we've come quite a long way over the years. Although many of us have our own thoughts on the matter, we don't feel it's productive to get a sing-song going and rehash the whole thing for your amusement. If you have any respect for your very distant heritage, you ought to wise up and realise that in our world, the line of thinking is that to harp on the past inhibits us from moving forward. Glorifying an organisation that you know nothing about serves no purpose, and this idiocy only serves to play into the stereotype that Yanks think their worldview is the only relevant or correct one. Should you stroll into my local with that attitude you'd get your head kicked in, meanwhile myself and the lads would gladly get a few pints in with any Englishman who was willing. Content yourself with feeding your misplaced angst in whichever hole you happen to be from in the States and leave your bollocks at the door when you come to our country. Or better yet, stay home. 

• Orla C

No, it is not. The IRA of recent years are nothing more than scumbags that traffick children, vulnerable adult and drugs, extort money and do tiger kidnapping. To even compare them with the freedom fighters of old, the original IRA and IRB, is an insult to their memory. The official IRA was disbanded as part of the GFA.

In any case, most visitors to Ireland are actually from England - well, they were before all this Brexit nonsense started.

If you do ask, they'll probably tell you it's a great song, but they don't sing it. That's what they often do. Despite what the wannabe RA head above says. Now THERE'S a jackeen that never left Dublin in his life!

By the way, once you're in Ireland, you're not Irish. No. You're American, with Irish ancestry. Those adjectives are used differently - in the US, you can call yourself Irish and you're referring to your heritage and ancestry, fine - but it's assumed that everyone around you has American nationality or citizenship. However In Europe where Ireland is located, the word Irish refers to someone of Irish nationality and citizenship more so than ancestry and heritage. Same with German, French, Italian, Czech, Russian, etc. There's a subtle but very important difference in meaning on the other side of the Atlantic.

Sure but do it on Shankill Road in Belfast lol don't.

you must be thick to even ask such a stupid question ...next thing we know your be asking us to pray for the trump ....like your singing ..it will never happen

I have visited Ireland five times and never noticed any traditional IRA type songs or music being played in the pubs. If you want that then have a quiet conversation with the front desk manager at your hotel about appropriate pubs. Do be aware there is a level of society in Ireland to goes to pubs to get really drunk and then get in fights. You will not encounter them in any pubs which are likely to be patronized by tourists, but if you go to a rougher neighborhood and drink in a pub which caters strictly to locals you could find yourself victimized.

People in the Republic of Ireland are very tired of the sectarian violence and do not support it. Do not spontaneously start singing IRA type songs without first verifying it will be OK or you are highly likely to find yourself thrown out of the pub or worse.

.as a foreigner is it appropriate to ask to have these songs played.

NO IT IS NOT.

Foreigners should mind their own business in other lands.

Local political issues are just that LOCAL visitors should avoid stirring the pot.

Thousands have been killed and injured over these issues over the years.

WHY WHY WHY do you desire to stir up the situation.

You probably are thrilled to hear German military march music at American Veterans posts too.

Shall I request those wonderful British tunes celebrating the burning of the Whitehouse on my next visit to USA pub near you?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3...

• Ludwig

You might attract the attention of the garda, and you might find you were ejected by the landlord.