I’m 15, are my parents aloud to keep my social security card away from me?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

They are allowed to keep it until you know the difference between allowed and aloud.

• 2 months ago

As a minor, there's not much you can do with it that is legal. However, if anyone misuses a social security number for a purpose not allowed by the federal government, it constitutes a federal crime, which is a felony (see 42 U.S.C. § 408 et seq.). Federal law states that a social security number may only be used for official government purposes. (meaning when that land lady or that doctor's office asked for your SSN, they committed a federal felony crime.) What that means is that nobody, other than a government agency that has a need to positively identify you, has any business with that number in the first place.

• Joe
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

What are you going to do, call a cop ?  Hire an attorney ?  Stop acting the fool and build a better, more trusting relationship with them.  Don't be an idiot.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes. You have no NEED OF IT. It is a number I memorized. It is used when I get a job with an employer. They want to know the ss# as they have to report paying wages to you and you would have to report your earnings for income tax purposes. Seeing as you are 15, many employers CAN NOT HIRE YOU YET. Then they demand that number. When parents give you the card, then you go to work.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Enigma
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You have no need of it. With all the theft there is it's best to let them keep it for now.

• 2 months ago

Yes if you are under 18

• 2 months ago

Yes they are.  You do not need to carry your card with you or give the number to anyone.  At 18 you might get it, you will be an adult then and responsible.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

With the way you spell, they should!

• 2 months ago

Yes, they can you are a minor.

• 2 months ago

Yes, why wouldn't they be able to? You don't legally own anything at your age.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.