Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 1 month ago

At what age would a man be considered "too old" to become a parent? (Please read details)?

Before everyone starts saying "men can have kids in their 70s", let me explain. Yes, celebrity men have kids really old. But those are celebrities with a ton of money. I'm talking about average non-rich people. How old would a woman consider a man "too old" to marry him and have children with him? Are there women who marry men and have kids with men older than 40? Again, I'm talking about average people, NOT rich celebrities.

• i mean, my sister who is still back in japan (i moved to the us), she has a boyfriend that is 46, while she is 20.  he is the same age as our dad...  but its kind of different since when you see them together, they dont look unordinary at all since 1. he has a very emo style 2. he looks about 25.  they are engaged, they have been dating since she was like 14 or 15 (keep in mind that the age of consent in japan is 13) i mean, they both talk about wanting kids and she never said that he was too old or anything so just really depends on what you like and what youre okay with.

My mom had me @ 3I which is common

place for Jwish womn & I wish she'd

nevr had me at all so age really dosn'

matr :(

• B

maybe after 55 years old

• Pippin

It's not my place to make decisions for other men -- or families, or couples.

in the 40s is the idea years for grandkids, not kids

That is a personal choice that only each man and woman can make for themselves.

The main issue is what the woman is willing to accept and that is going to be different for every woman.  Some women might be willing to have a child with an older man.  (considering that women do have a time limit on how long they can have children - a man who is already 50 is not likely to have a baby with a woman who is already 50 - so, potentially, there would already be at least a ten year age gap between the older man and a younger woman.)

So, that woman would need to be willing to have a child with a man that could easily end up on Social Security long before she is old enough to retire and before their child graduates high school or college.  And, a large majority of "average" people haven't saved enough for their retirement and certainly wouldn't have enough for retirement and a college education for their child.

Personally - I would never do it.

I'd say 40 is the absolute outside range. You don't want to be working full time to pay for college at an age where you should be retired. My husband's parents divorced because his dad insisted on having more children (my husband was in college at the time). His dad remarried and had 4 more kids, the youngest being 20. He's constantly complaining because he's 74 years old and can't afford to retire because he had to pay for 4 more kids to go to college and to raise them all. Meanwhile, my husband is 49 and planning to retire inside of 5 years because we don't have children and were able to save aggressively.

If you are a crack addict, pretty much anyone outside your immediate group of "friends" would be rich enough for you to have a kid with them.

• Frank

I know of men in their sixties having children. What is the big deal? If they can find a foolish enough female to do it...it is what we are HERE to do...MAKE BABIES.