is it wrong to be 'unavailable' to people a lot?

ive often been criticized and argued with that i'm never available when i'm needed or wanted, often away, busy or doing other things.....this when people try phoning me...people have complained that they always get the answering machine?

im a man in my forties from britain, what does anyone think about this?

As long as you're not being hypocritical and only reaching out when you need or want something absolutely not. It's okay to not be available on everyone's whim.

It's okay.  Their desire to speak with you has nothing to do with your desire to speak with them.  It's your phone and your choice.

I leave my ansaphone on so once I see who's calling, I can leave it to go to that unless it happens to be a call I'm expecting.   If people REALLY want to speak to me, they can LEAVE A MESSAGE AND I WILL GET BACK.   wHY NOT!

No......................

No one is obligated to be "available" when others call.

Do what you must and what suits you best,

and anyone who doesn't like it can just go fly a kite.

• John

I do that to those I don't want to continue with.

It isn't "wrong," but just keep in mind that relationships need some amount of upkeep.

If you are making some effort to phone/message them once it's more convenient for you, I see no issue.