? asked in Computers & InternetHardwarePrinters · 2 months ago

i changed my router , in order to print do I have change anything on my printer?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

yes you do. it has to connect to the router(well thats the best way) and it will get a new IP address, so effectively its a new printer. Some printers can overcome this issue it just depends how you connected it in the first place. if you make the printer print its own status sheet it will include details on how IT THINKS it is connected. that will help you if it has a new IP address because you can see it. Really the best way is just REMOVE the existing printer and re-install it.

• 2 months ago

If it is a wireless printer and you used the same ssid and password, it should just work and be seen on your network. If it is hardwired into the network, it depends if the printer can identify itself as the printer or if you had an ip address assigned. If you had an ip address assigned, you will need to reassign it in the new router (not the printer). If it is just a usb printer, it doesn't use the router unless shared through the computer it is attached to.

• 2 months ago

Route your router through the printer and ask if the name is in the Winter.

• Dave
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

LOL, ignore the moron Arimathews.

If you duplicate your SSID and password exactly, everything will connect automatically. If the printer is hard wired, and the IP address/DHCP for the new router hasn't changed, it should all just work.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Unfortunately yes you're going to have to go through every router and every tablet and every telephone and every Roku and Android box in your house and delete the old connection and make a new connection. It won't do a bit of good to name the connection with the exact same name and use the exact same password. The encryption numbers and pattern of the other router are different. And you're likely to get a message that says connected no internet. just go through your devices and delete the old connection and create a new one.

• Chalupa2 months agoReport

Please do the entire community a favor and stay off the tech forum. Your answer is asinine, and completely wrong. For someone who claims to be running a computer repair business, you really have an incredibly limited knowledge of computers. I'd be embarrassed by the crap you post.

• 2 months ago

As long as your new router has the same gateway address as the old router, you should be fine. Your printer will pick up an IP address automatically, so it MAY not be the same as when it was connected to the old router. If you need to, use the "Add Printer" button under devices and printers to search for the printer and re-establish a connection to it. (If this works, delete the old printer from your Devices and Printers.)

• 2 months ago

no you shouldnt have to.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.