Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelOther - Destinations · 2 months ago

To World travelers, What country have you been to, that gave you the most Culture shock? And Why?

As I have tried to explain to you before, you are misusing the term "Culture Shock". Please look it up. If you're asking about where things are the most different from the US (or Britain if that's where you are), I would say Vietnam and Saudi Arabia.

• Nāga

In central Africa I felt like a fish out of water; even though I'm darker than the average European, I stood out like a very sore thumb. It was poor, even more so than I'd envisaged, and walking along a busy dirt road I felt like everyone was staring at me, and to some degree I worried for my safety (they were destitute) however I was never threatened in any way whatsoever.

Japan by far.

I have visited almost every continent in this world except for Antartica and Africa and I can assure Japan takes the biscuit. Due to being an island and being isolated from the rest of the world, Japan surely has its own way of doing things.

As Dutchie going to Japan and seeing the metro filled up with people like a can of sardines was quite shocking. I remember standing on the train by myself looking to identify myself with the other passengers but I couldn't because they all look so different from what I was used to. The society is individually centered and drinking coffee or going out to dinner by yourself is not frowned upon like in the west.

I don't think it is really culture shock, but I find it amazing the number of people (natives) that live on tiny islands like in the Caribbean and South Pacific that never leave the island.

I've been to around 60 countries including most of Europe and the Caribbean and all of North America plus a few places like Bermuda. I didn't really suffer culture shock anywhere even Italy where I lived for about 14 years.