trebuchet asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

I am picking up a dog on Sunday. He is currently a very loved and happy farm dog. Will he grow to see me and my partner as his owner?

He's a Collie, 10 months, and has been living on a farm with lots of other Collies. He's a very good sheep herder but doesn't want to work for very long; he'd rather play! The owner has said he can't keep him for that reason and so he's rehoming him.

The doggo is very loyal to the farmer! I'm nervous in case I bring him home and he's unhappy, despite the abundance of toys and treats we've bought him.

Also, he's an outdoor dog, he sleeps in a shed-coverted kennel but we will have him inside. As he's young, we're hoping he settles in and feels at home with us.

Finally, we would like to change his name from Kai to Douglas. Do you think he will understand and accept this?

Thank you!

Sam.

• LP7

You will love him and he will love you.He will think he is in heaven with so much attention.He will be a puppy again and love every minute of it.Probably needs lots of walking/running in the park wherever because of the farm environment.

• trebuchet2 months agoReport

They say they've done all this but you know they haven't

He is beautiful Be kind, patient and most of all loving. he will be good to you.

You don't have a damn clue. And yet, you won't listen to anyone. Except for the moron you gave "best answer".

So why the **** did you post this question?

• ron h

About the name:  Kai is not what I'd pick but it's a good name.   A hard consonant and a long vowel.  You can shout that in a dog park or just say it in the house and he'll be able to pick it out of other noise.  I think Douglas is a good man's name but not for a dog.  Maybe call him KD (Kai Douglas), but I'd leave that alone. 

• keerok

Collie? How's your running?

• Maxi

10 month old BC, who is outdoor and from working stock..... what you are getting is a working dog who is a 'teenager' who is not toilet trained and unused to being in a home environment, he will have no formal obedience training and the reality is this dog is no cutting it as a sheep dog.... and the reality is farmers do not train their dogs until they are around 14 months old.

So you need to get him into formal obedience classes immediately, toilet train him and lead walk him for a couple of hours each day or this dog will be very frustrated and chew up all and anythig and pee/poo everywhere...so I hope you are prepared.

Dogs live in the moment, so once he arrives he will get on with life with you, but if you think toys are going to satisfy him you are mistaken as he will not know what a toy is, his life has been work and that is what he will miss, so that is what you need to provide him with, work in the form of obedience, in treating tricks, seek and find games, lots and lot od activity that will satisfy his physical and mental needs

• Jojo

I`m sure if you give this dog the correct kind of life he will eventually settle down to look upon you as his leaders.

At just 10 months old and if you say he is a good herder, then I don`t think the farmer has given him much of a chance to prove his worth.

He IS still a pup and most pups at 10 months old want to play a lot and not concentrate on being trained to do hard work.

As a B/C this dog WILL need to do some sort of activity as he matures , to keep him from becoming neurotic and frustrated as he obviously comes from working stock.

Also he IS going to miss being in a dog pack A LOT, if he is going to be your only dog. Toys and treats are not going to be much substitute I`m afraid, and will not impress the dog at all.

AND he will need a lot of house training (toilet) if he has been used to living outside.

Changing his name is not a big problem.

I think you may be taking on a big problem if you are not very experienced with working dogs and I think if you go ahead and get him, you may have your work cut out.

He may well be young, but living for 10 months on a farm with lots of other dogs is the only life he has ever known and its going to be very traumatic for him to suddenly leave it all behind and start an entirely new life. I think you should consider very carefully if this is the right dog for you and if you will cope with a working bred dog that needs a lot of mental stimulation and will need company for most of the day at this stage, and until he is taught to be on his own for a while sometimes.

AS he matures , he may need much less `play` and lots more `work`.

Your choice though, so I hope if you get him. it works out. Good Luck.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.
    • trebuchet2 months agoReport

This was a nice comment, I'll take the advice on board, thank you Jojo.

He's a good dog.

1) Do you realize he won't be housebroken? You're going to have to crate him when you're not home till you're sure he knows to hold it.

2) Do you have a large, fully fenced yard? He's not going to be an outdoor dog but he is still a Collie and needs room to run.

3) Do you have time to take this dog on a brisk walk at LEAST twice a day, every day? This isn't a couch potato sort of breed.

4) Dogs don't need an abundance of treats. Treats make dogs fat and many are dangerous for them as well. He needs a quality grain free food. If you must give him treats make it raw frozen or fresh marrow bones or chicken feet, turkey necks.

5) Are you aware he's surely not altered, no shots, ANYTHING? Do you have another $500 or so for that?

6) Are you aware he's probably had little to no human contact and will need LOTS of training?

Name him whatever YOU want. If he was kept outdoors as a working dog he's likely had nobody saying his name.

I think you're a complete fool to be buying an older puppy from some breeder. You could have adopted a puppy or dog from a shelter for MUCH less and it would have everything already done AND at least had minimal training like walking on a leash with volunteers.

• trebuchet2 months agoReport

Well, I'm open to advice. I'll give the dog jobs if he wants them, but if he doesn't, I wont..

I hope I'm wrong but a dog born from working dogs and living for 10 months as a working dog is not going to settle into a home very easily. If he has the metabolism and drive of a working dog which is highly likely you could very well find that trying to live in a home with a relatively quiet life compared to what he's used to just too much for him and he could become bored and frustrated and destructive.

If you take this dog on I would highly suggest it is on a trial basis and only take him on if the farmer agrees to take him back if it doesn't work out.

• trebuchet2 months agoReport

And if you wanna talk about losers, you should see your 45,000 answers on this pmsl.

calm down, kid.