Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 2 months ago

BALLET IS DESTROYING MY TOENAILS. HOW DO I RECOVER?

I have been dancing for a while. The toenails on my feet are all broken. All but dusted off. Especially the one on the left big toe. I want them to grow back properly. At least properly when you do the voodoo we affectionately call "ballet".

• Willie

Trim them or cut off all of your toes.

My daughter has danced for years without her toenails disintegrating. She keeps the very short and filed smooth. Yes she dancing on pointe,

Bruise toenails, yes, but not failing apart.

Try a podiatrist

Are you too young for pointe shoes? That could be a reason. If your age isn't the issue and you are en pointe, toenails fall off when the nail moves too much, either because it’s too long, the box of your pointe shoe is worn down or your foot is sliding in ill-fitting shoes. The toenail usually bruises before it falls off. Tape (the crepe tape from Bunheads is best) where the nail meets the skin. If the nail gradually sheds, clip it. But don’t pull it if it doesn’t fall naturally. Once the nail comes off, use an over-the-counter ointment like Aquaphor to keep the soft tissue hydrated so the new nail will grow more normally. Take B vitamins to speed the growth process. But bruised nails falling off isn’t normal! Correct the cause to keep it from recurring.

Ballet is injuring your toenails, feet, ankles, knees, and hips.

Like with any sport, there is a point where the excessive practice is damaging to the body.

No more ballet so your nails can recover

Quite unfortunately, the long term results of ballet are often quite damaging to the toes and feet. Any number of performers live with severe pain. Such is the sacrifice for the art.

• Take lots of rest and a break from ballet.