Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 2 months ago

To Musicians, WHY did you choose the specific musical instrument you decided to learn to play. Please be very specific. Curious person?

here. Thanks.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I chose a guitar because they're rather cheap, you can easily take one anywhere, you can sing as well as play, & because women seem attracted to "strum jocks."

• 2 months ago

It chose me I didn't choose it.

I started on clarinet then saxophone. After graduating high school I switched to the piano and have been playing professionally ever since.

• 2 months ago

I remember hearing someone play the piano when I was very young, and I decided I wanted to play like that. I think the piano is the most versatile instrument.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't feel like I chose it, I feel like it chose me! There were lots and lots of instruments I'd like to be able to play but guitar was the only one I felt I had to play. I knew learning would be difficult (especially without a teacher) but that didn't put me off.

I guess in the UK The Shadows and The Beatles made guitar more prominent and i guess I was obsessed with having one long before I actually got one. There were so many sounds, so many types of music - someone playing classical guitar, steel string acoustic accompanying folk and blues, finger picking instrumentals, slide, and there there were dozens of different sounds from the electric. Then there was the look of the thing - compared to a red Strat or sunburst Les Paul all other instruments were dull! There was something about the shape of acoustic guitars to. Guitars weren't just functional, they had style.

I was a big fan of the British band Family and I was fascinated at the parts John Whitney played on record - all the different sounds he got on just one track - acoustic 12 string, electric 12 string, finger picking, arpeggios, clean sounds, dirty sounds, slide. I wanted to BE him.

I was a very late starter and didn't get a guitar until I started working at seventeen/eighteen. It was a £14 steel string plywood acoustic. It took me months even to tune it but I never lost interest. My life was work, play the guitar, sleep with meals in between.

I never became a good player but learning to play was the best thing I ever did. I have keyboards, a bouzouki, a mandolin and a dulcimer which I use when recording but I have no passion for them the way I do guitar.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Because Jack Jones, Jr told me the trumpet would suit me.

• 2 months ago

I was a big fan of folk music so I always wanted to play the guitar. Some 57 years later I still like folk music and playing the guitar.

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

When I was little I learned to play piano. We already had a piano so that made sense. In middle school / high school I played saxophone. My dad had an alto saxophone from when he was a kid so I used his until I switched to tenor sax. In later high school / college I bought a guitar just because I always wanted to learn guitar. Now I have an acoustic and electric guitar. I also have an electric bass, again, just because I wanted to learn how to play it. I also have a dulcimer but I don't really know how to play it, I just mess around on it. I inherited a violin from my grandpa but I have no idea how to play it.

• Charles
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

I played a violin for the first time when I was over 50.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.