Gary asked in Society & CultureCommunity Service Β· 2 months ago

Is it noraml for a furnace transformer to be hot even when the furance is not running?

Replaced burned out furance transformer but now new seems lke its getting to hot.

No, not normal. I suspect there's a short circuit loading down the transformer's low-voltage output -- probably the same short circuit that destroyed the previous transformer. It's time to hire an experienced professional electrician to troubleshoot the problem.

I've seen this problem before -- as I recall, caused by by using a bent over nail, instead of a proper insulated stable to hang the low-voltage wires between the transformer output and the furnace electronics. The nail pinched through the insulation and short-circuited the conductors. By code, those wires should be inside a jacketed cable, not just a pair of individual hook-up wires. It's also possible the furnace's electronics may have shorted-out.

• Rick

unhook the OUTPUT and test it with a VOM ( volt-ohm meter ) to see if it has a short in the wiring ..................

Pray to God to fix what ails the transformer.

No transformer should be hot when unloaded. Something is wrong. Get it checked.

If the output of the transformer (the 24V side, not the line side) is easily disconnected, try disconnecting it, and see if it still gets hot. If it no longer gets hot, then something is putting too much of a load on the circuit. Maybe something is shorted. Again, a pro can fix it pretty quick, unless you want to search Google and YouTube on how to fix it.

• In

Spiritually speaking it is not normal. It would seem to indicate a fault somewhere else in the control circuit with current going to ground (maybe a stuck relay?). Break out your multi-meter and start checking.

(Note to everyone else: Yahoo!Answers is notorious for randomly assigning questions to different categories based on a key word or two, usually with hilarious results. Once you post a question you can use the edit function to move the question to the right category.)

• Being that you're new here, Gary, I'm going to cut you a break. By that, I mean that I'm giving you a half an hour to move your question to the right category.

Why are you asking this in the religion and spirituality section?

IF MY DAD WAS HERE HE WOULD KNOW BUT HE DIED IN 79....ASK A PLUMBING AND HEATING MAN.

• Huh?

Since this is the religion section my only answer would be, are you a moron? Do you think a god or spirit is making your transformer hot?

• Gary2 months agoReport

honest mistake new to this no need to rude about it.