promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 months ago

Should small businesses have the right to deny services to certain groups of people?

As a small business owner coming from Italy to America I have a restaurant that I'm trying to create a friendly and safe atmosphere for my customers but every once in awhile I get a certain type of people that come in that makes my customers feel uncomfortable should I have the right to deny service to these people if it affects my business's profitability

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

If you mean badly dressed or something like that, then maybe.

If you mean a particular race, gender, or religion, then definitely not.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

If someone disruptive comes in , just tell them there is a 2 hour wait to be seated . Additionally , a special menu for undesirables with triple the prices would be helpful .

No need to deny services when you can get them to leave on their own .

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

No, the civil rights act prohibits discrimination when accommodating customers. Discriminate all you want in your personal life, but not in business.

• ...Show all comments
    • Alucard
      Lv 4
      8 months agoReport

Could you please quote the statute that says it is discrimination and illegal to refuse someone service I will be waiting

• Bill
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Everyone should have the right to associate and do business with anyone they please and refuse to associate and do business with anyone they please.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Companies have the right to refuse service to anyone, however, you need to have a fair and reasonable reason to do so. This can include drunk or rude behaviour, verbal or physical aggression towards anyone in, or linked to the business etc. This wouldn't stand if it was based upon age (unless the service is age restricted), race, religion etc

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Yes. I'd deny services to any trump supporter

• 8 months ago

After the Civil War, bigotry (called Jim Crow laws) still kept Blacks from buying food at stores (or they had to pay higher prices), etc. It was ruled that if a public store is open to the public, they have to treat blacks the same way that they treat whites (same service, and same prices). This law only applies to blacks because they were deemed a special case that had been the brunt of discrimination. In America, stores must cater to any client.

• 8 months ago

You are a business owner, and you are permitted to serve whom you please. If you do not like a certain customer, you are quite within your rights to refuse to serve that person. It is entirely up to you.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

If they are not behaving properly, you can ask them to leave. Other than that, you cannot bar them.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

To individuals, yes. To groups, not if it is based on race, gender, ...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.